Graduate Student Government Senate Meeting
November 4, 2020
2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
Zoom Recording: http://bit.ly/GSGSM1104
- VP of Academic Affairs
- Ruff Around the Edges Contest – Winners Announcement
- Resources available at Northeastern
- GSG Kahoot Quiz
- GSG Achievements
1. Vice President of Academic Affairs
VP of Academic Affairs Reema Yadav spoke about her goals and vision for the academic year.
Goals: (1) Academic affairs manual (2) Academic survey for budget priorities (3) Academic survey for social media and (4) Student ambassadors.
Reema encouraged the attendees to sign up for the Academic Affairs Committee and she will send a committee meeting invite soon. She encouraged students from all colleges of Northeastern to sign up for the committee to keep the surveys diverse. She said that the committee aims to offer support and resources to students from the university by planning activities to enhance the academic experience of graduate students in every aspect.
2. Ruff Around the Edges – Winners Announcement
Winners of the contest Ruff Around the Edges were announced by Divya Subbaian. The contest befitting the current virtual life we are living was held between 24th October and 30th October where all graduate students were given an opportunity to showcase their talent by designing or by sending a photograph of a holiday themed Virtual Zoom Background.
1st Place – Mayur Bhatia (College of Engineering)
2nd Place – Urmi Patankar (College of Sciences)
3rd Place – Tanvi Gupta (College of Professional Studies)
Prizes won: 1st Place – Google Nest Mini and GSG merchandise; 2nd Place – GSG T-shirts and GSG merchandise; 3rd Place – GSG merchandise.
3. Resources available at Northeastern
Executive Vice President, Divya Subbaian spoke about the resources available at Northeastern: Disability Resource Center (DRC), Office of Prevention and Education (OPEN), Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR), We Care, University Health and Counseling Services (UHCS), Center for Spirituality, Dialogue and Service, LGBTQA Center, Asian American Center, and Center for Intercultural Engagement.
Vice President of Marketing and Outreach, Santhoshi Bathina shared how a lot of students are not aware of the amazing services that the university offers and encouraged them to utilize the services and presented information about additional resources at the university, including the following:
- Office of Global Services (OGS) – Academic Skills Advising, book an Academic Skills Advising appointment to discuss and get help with time management (surrounding academics and co-op), organization, study skills, cultural adjustment, exam techniques, homesickness, stress and anxiety; Global Student Mentor Program that supports incoming international students to transition to college life at Northeastern and to the culture of the United States, to foster engagement with the Northeastern community, and to improve resource utilization.
- Employer Engagement and Career Design – helps with Co-ops, job searches, building resume, cover letters, mock interviews, and networking techniques.
- Off-Campus Student Services – offers services and information about renting, giving information about safe neighborhood, helping with finding roommates and apartments. For international students who are new to the terms in legal documents, they have a document that simplifies it.
- Global Student Success provide international and non-native English-speaking students with high-quality language, academic, and cultural support in global understanding and intercultural skills. Visit https://international.northeastern.edu/gss/about-gss/ for more.
- Center for Financial Independence – destination for students interested in learning about personal financial management, as well as those eager to impart their own financial expertise and advice to their peers.
For all the information about specific programs, visit https://studentlife.northeastern.edu/ and follow the pages on social media for latest updates.
Executive Vice President Divya Subbaian spoke about fixed GSG Office Hours for the semester that was announced on social media. Students can book appointments easily from the link https://bit.ly/officehoursGSG. Each E-board member is available for 1hour/week at specific times mentioned in the schedule posted on website https://www.northeastern.edu/gsg/contact-us/.
4. GSG Kahoot Quiz
An interactive fun plus knowledgeable Kahoot quiz was conducted by Divya Subbaian, where attendees got to answer questions related to GSGs history. Winner of the quiz was Shamika Gogate and she won a $20 Grubhub gift card.
5. GSG Achievements
On request of a few attendees from the previous meetings, President Gagan Dep Prabhu presented a list of GSG achievements. The list of achievements are as follows:
- Increased stipends for Graduate RAs and TAs
- Career Services
- Graduate Student Organizations
- RedEye Shuttle Service
- Game Room
- Awards for Graduate Students
- Tableau Dashboard for Financial Data
- Recognition for College of Professional Studies
- Project funding
Additional achievements are opening additional graduate Study Spaces and quiet fourth floor in Snell Library, updating information about the GSG manual, and sharing information with GSG members, especially those who will be continuing to work with GSG in the years to come.
Romaric Belmier Mbakop commended and congratulated the work of the members of GSG.
Raja Karunanidhi of Northeastern University’s Seattle campus attended the meeting and looks forward to joining future meetings. He said that students at the Seattle campus are not as familiar with GSG and shared his interest in representing GSG at the Seattle campus.
President Gagan Prabhu shared GSGs regional campus vision and plans to set up digital campuses across various Northeastern Universities.
- Grania Machado who joined Northeastern this Fall 2020 shared that it is her first GSG meeting and found it interesting and informative. She asked about the slow service of the RedEye during COVID-19.
Answer: President Gagan Prabhu asked her to send an email to the NUPD and shoot an email to him in case they do not respond.
The next meeting is scheduled for Saturday, November 21 from 2:00pm to 3:30pm.
The Senate meeting was adjourned at 3:25pm by Vice President Marketing and Outreach Santhoshi Bathina.
|1||Aditi Jainemail@example.com||College of Engineering||Student Affairs Committee|
|2||Alfred Navatofirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Engineering||Programs and Operations Committee|
|3||Ansh Vaghelaemail@example.com||College of Professional Studies||Financial Affairs Committee|
|4||Apoorva Mishrafirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Engineering||Marketing and Outreach Committee|
|5||Aryan Patidaremail@example.com||College of Engineering||Programs and Operations Committee|
|6||Chirag Patelfirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Engineering||Financial Affairs Committee|
|7||Danzel Jonesemail@example.com||Graduate Students of Color Collective||None, I don't want to sign up for Committees!|
|10||Gagan Dep Prabhufirstname.lastname@example.org||COE||-|
|11||Grania Machadoemail@example.com||Khoury College of Computer Sciences||Marketing and Outreach Committee|
|12||Huiyu Huangfirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Engineering||None, I don't want to sign up for Committees!|
|13||Jaison Johnemail@example.com||Khoury College of Computer Sciences||None, I don't want to sign up for committees!|
|14||Jared Beaulieufirstname.lastname@example.org||D'Amore-McKim School of Business||Programs and Operations Committee|
|15||Jerry Goodwinemail@example.com||College of Professional Studies||Marketing and Outreach Committee|
|16||Jugal Shethfirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Engineering||None, I don't want to sign up for Committees!|
|17||Kamaleshemail@example.com||College of Engineering||Financial Affairs Committee|
|18||Laura Johnsonfirstname.lastname@example.org||None, I don't want to sign up for Committees!|
|19||Nikunj Doshiemail@example.com||College of Engineering||Marketing and Outreach Committee|
|20||Niranjan Vaidyafirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Professional Studies||Involved in Strategic Planning Committee|
|21||Omkar Tiwareemail@example.com||College of Professional Studies||Financial Affairs Committee|
|22||Omkar Tiwarefirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Professional Studies||Financial Affairs Committee|
|23||Orhun Kokemail@example.com||College of Science||Financial Affairs Committee|
|24||Pallak Singhfirstname.lastname@example.org||Graduate Women in Science and Engineering (GWiSE)||None, I don't want to sign up for Committees!|
|26||Raja Karunanidhiemail@example.com||College of Professional Studies||Student Affairs Committee|
|27||Reema Yadavfirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Engineering||-|
|28||Romaric Belmier Mbakopemail@example.com||College of Engineering||Student Affairs Committee|
|29||Sakshi Basavanth Patilfirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Engineering||Student Affairs Committee|
|30||Samuel Chuan||Chuan.email@example.com||College of Arts, Media and Design||Marketing and Outreach Committee|
|31||Sandeep Karapa Srivatsavfirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Professional Studies||Academic Affairs Committee|
|33||Shamika Shirish Gogateemail@example.com||College of Engineering||None, I don't want to sign up for Committees!|
|34||Simone Winston||Winston.firstname.lastname@example.org||College of Professional Studies||-|
|35||Sumantra Bhattacharyaemail@example.com||D'Amore-McKim School of Business||Student Affairs Committee|
|36||Tanay Bhagwatfirstname.lastname@example.org||College of Science||Student Affairs Committee|
|37||Taylor Lemieux||Lemieux.email@example.com||D'Amore-McKim School of Business||Programs and Operations Committee|