Funding for professional development certifications is designed to support Northeastern University Non-PhD graduate students from all colleges and departments in their pursuit of local professional development opportunities within their area of study or research on a reimbursement basis to cover registration fees that are not currently funded by the student’s advisor or other funding sources. Non-PhD students are eligible for funding up to the amount of $100 per academic year. However, all final reward amounts are contingent on the availability of funds per funding period. Specifically, this fund is allocated to cover registration fees that are not currently funded by the student’s advisor or other funding sources.
Steps To Get Professional Development Certification Funding
1. Do you qualify for GSG funding?
You must be a current full-time graduate student requesting funding for costs associated with professional certifications. These costs certification enrollment fees. Please read the Professional Development Certifications Funding (PDCF)
- Completely fill out the Professional Development Certification Funding Application(on Engage)
- Submit the Advisor Approval Form in addition to your Professional Development Certification Funding Application
Applications must be received by the appropriate application deadlines. These are based on when you will be attending the conference.
Be aware that you must be very specific as to what expenses you would like to be reimbursed for. You will also be required to provide receipts once the activity has occurred. Please write your NU ID number on all forms and receipts.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE APPLICATION DEADLINES COME WELL BEFORE THE DATES OF THE ACTUAL CERTIFICATION.
3. Finance Committee Approval
Funding decisions are voted on by the GSG Finance Committee. These meetings determine eligibility and if there is sufficient funding for all applicants. Every effort will be made to provide at least partial funding to all applicants. Award amounts presented and voted on at the Finance Committee Meeting will be considered final. You will receive email notification of the meeting results (your approval status) AFTER the deadline of the funding cycle, as we process all funding requests at once.
4. Notification of Approval
Once your application is approved by the Finance Committee, an Award Letter will be sent to the mailing address you have provided (usually after the funding cycle’s deadline). This will confirm the breakdown of your total award and provide instructions for submitting proof of payment for your reimbursement. If there are any errors, or last-minute changes to your certification plans, the VP of Finance must be notified of any necessary changes to allocations (not to exceed the total award) prior to certification start date. Changes to an award will NOT be made after the start date indicated by the student.
In order to be reimbursed, authentication documents must be received by the appropriate deadlines.
This includes a copy of the original award letter with:
- Completed SABO Expense Reimbursement Voucher
- Appropriate Signatures (1. Advisor or Dept. Representative, 2. Registrar’s Stamp/Seal, 3. Student)
- Proof of payment for all expenses (example: credit card statement, bank statement)
Be sure to save all of your receipts while certification registration. In order to process your award, we require documentation showing that you personally paid for all expenses being reimbursed.
Once all documentation has been received by the GSG office, the information is submitted to the GSG advisor for approval and then on to the Business Office. Once processed by the Business Office, reimbursement checks will be sent to the mailing address you provided.
8. Professional Development Certification Funding Deadlines for 2020-2021
|Funding Period||Certification Date||Application Deadline||Notification Date|
- The GSG Professional Development Certifications Funding program is highly competitive and it is not a guaranteed source of funding.
- Applicants who are not awarded are encouraged to re-apply for future semesters, provided that all eligibility criteria are met.
- Awards allocations are determined by the availability of funds and the number of applications received.