Northeastern worked with the BRA, The Mayor’s Office, elected officials, the appointed Northeastern Task Force and other interested parties to explore ways to improve community benefits over the new master plan period. A set of guidelines were established to help Northeastern in developing these community benefits. These guidelines are the following:
- The benefit serves the mutual interests of the community and University and can be recognized to be of benefit in the local community and beyond;
- The benefit leads to sustainable partnerships in the community designed to promote the development of thriving communities along Northeastern’s institutional borders, especially in Roxbury;
- The benefit builds on existing programmatic strengths and core competencies of the university, or builds upon other strengths that can be leveraged or harnessed;
- The benefit strives for innovative ways to optimize resources that build a strong community and a strong university; and
- The benefit helps develop a robust community engagement or service strategy that is supported by the University’s student and academic interests. Seven initiatives under discussion with city officials, the BRA and the CTF include:
Through the extensive consultation with the BRA, The Mayor’s Office, elected officials, the appointed Northeastern Task Force and other interested parties, Northeastern has committed to the following public benefits in association with the Northeastern IMP.