Day 31: Last Saturday in Quito – Happy Birthday Becca!

Today was mostly dedicated to working on our final video projects. Since I had finished my rough sequence last night, I decided to take the morning off and go exploring. Chelsea and I went to Parque La Carolina to walk around and to get out of the hotel for a while. Working on final projects has been stressful, so it was nice to relax a little bit. We took plenty of touristy pictures, got some street food (including a bag of cotton candy bigger than both of our heads combined), and then went back to the hotel for some more editing.

Touristy Pictures in the Park!

Touristy Pictures in the Park!

Chelsea and I with our gigantic cotton candy

We all spent most of the afternoon editing our final projects. David held a workshop at Catolica to help us with our editing, which was very helpful. I was lucky that my project was pretty much done by the time I went to David’s workshop and so I finished my project before 5pm. It was great to have that huge weight off of my shoulders! Unfortunately most of us will still be editing our videos up until tomorrow night.

Around 7pm we all met at the hotel to walk over to our final group meal at a restaurant called Spezia. We were treated to a delicious four course meal consisting of empanadas, cevichochos (for reference), a main dish of either vegetables, shrimp risotto, or pork, and a guava mousse with a fig tart for dessert. After we were all stuffed, Jean gave each of us a superlative award. Each award was personalized and it was such a great way to close out the course. It almost seemed like a goodbye, but we still have some jam packed days ahead of us.

This past week has been flying by and I can’t believe we only have three days left here. It’s been quite the journey, and though I feel like I’m ready to go home, I can’t wrap my head around the fact that we’ve come to the end of the dialogue. I can’t wait for our gallery opening on Monday at FLACSO so that we can see all of our hard work over the course of the past five weeks and share it with the people of Quito. It’ll be a great way to close out this adventure!