The Environmental Data & Governance Initiative (EDGI) has released it’s 2021 Annual Report, it’s 4th annual report since the project began.
Highlights from the report:
- EDGI had our work featured in 63 publications across 52 news outlets, including Reuters, The Washington Post, The New York Times, and The Guardian.
- Released a new environmental data justice project, Environmental Enforcement Watch (EEW), which works with communities to answer questions using data on compliance with and enforcement of environmental protection laws like the Clean Water Act (CWA).
- Documented a 98% median increase in violations of the CWA during the Trump administration and a 60% reduction in EPA penalties.
- Created “A People’s EPA” (APE), a public history website of the agency and home for the over 150 original interviews from EPA employees.
- Published two influential web monitoring projects: the “Access Denied” report and “Federal Environmental Web Tracker” database of changes.
- Transitioned to a new fiscal sponsor, Multiplier, and brought in our first-ever development director to help maintain our financial sustainability.