Student Orientation and Family Programs connects families with university resources, helping you navigate and build networks within Northeastern’s global community. We support families throughout their Northeastern experience — including academic, administrative, and personal matters.
We partner with families and support your student by:
- Encouraging communication between families and the university
- Accessing resources to guide students in academic and personal decision-making
- Providing a compassionate, caring, and coordinated crisis response
Each year, we host several programs for family engagement:
The myNortheastern Family/Other Account provides families with the ability to:
- Receive official university correspondence
- Review and pay the tuition bill
- Access student account information
The student must submit a request to initiate the process of creating a Family/Other Account. Once a student has completed the form, an email will be sent to the family member with a claim link.
Once the Family/Other Account has been claimed, the family member can opt into receiving official university correspondence.
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) limits universities and colleges on what can be shared with families in regard to your student, without the student’s clear knowledge and expressed permission to share with others. Before a student is 18 years of age, FERPA gives family members certain rights with respect to their student’s education records. Once the student reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level, these rights transfer to the student.
The Parents & Families Channel
Stay in the know! The Parents & Families Channel is your primary source of information.
Husky 101 Family Orientation
Husky 101 Orientation connects newly enrolled undergraduate students and families with essential resources, programs, and platforms to chart their Northeastern path with global, research, and experiential opportunities and programs.
Family & Friends Weekend
View recordings from our Family & Friends Weekend experience, October 14-16, 2022:
- FEATURED PRESENTATION: From Boston to Budapest: Building a Global University Brand, Presented by Mike Armini, Senior Vice President for External Affairs & Renata Nyul, Vice President for Communications.
- MEET THE AUTHOR: Dr. Kristen Lee, Ed.D., LICSW, Lead Faculty Behavioral Science and Faculty-in-Residence at Northeastern, is an award-winning behavioral science clinician, researcher, educator, and speaker from Boston. Learn how her most recent book, Worth the Risk, can help students and families build the resilience needed to face new and unexpected challenges, such as the college transition.
- FEATURED SPEAKER: Ken Jennings, Greatest Jeopardy! Player of All Time, and Jeopardy! co-host & best-selling author.
- FEATURED PERFORMER: Stand Up Magician Derek Hughes, from America’s Got Talent.
Touch of Home Specialty Orders
Surprise your student! The Office of Student Orientation and Family Programs, in partnership with the campus grocery store Wollaston’s, offers specialty cakes and fruit baskets for all occasions. Learn more and place your order today!
Check out the Parent and Family Guide: Supporting Student Mental Health, a comprehensive guide from the Office of the Chancellor, University Health & Counseling Services, and the Office of Prevention & Education at Northeastern (OPEN) on supporting your student’s mental health.