Winter Storm Juno Update | January 26, 2015, 1:15p.m.Classes cancelled Monday night, all classes cancelled Tuesday
Monday and throughout Tuesday, the New England region will be hit with a major snow storm that includes blizzard-like conditions, hurricane-force winds and whiteout conditions. Snowfall is expected to start later this afternoon (Monday) in the Greater Boston area and intensify overnight with an expected accumulation of 2-4 inches per hour and continuing throughout Tuesday. The Governor of Massachusetts has declared a state of emergency.
Here’s what members of the Northeastern community need to know to prepare and stay safe:
- MONDAY: All classes that are scheduled to start after 5:00 p.m. are CANCELLED.
- TUESDAY: All day and evening classes are CANCELLED and business offices will be closed.
Online classes, Charlotte Campus, and Seattle Campus
- Online classes will continue as scheduled Monday and Tuesday, as will all activities at our Charlotte and Seattle campuses. We are closely monitoring the weather and will notify the campus community via email, social media and the university homepage as the storm progresses.
Transportation & Parking
- Faculty and staff concerned about their evening commute tonight should talk to their supervisors and arrange early departures as needed.
- The shuttle service will cease operations starting at midnight and will not be running Tuesday.
- Those parking on surface lots should move their cars into the Columbus Garage as soon as possible. If you don’t have a night decal but wish to leave your car in the garage tonight, you may do so.
- MONDAY: International Village and Stetson East are open until 10:00 p.m.
- TUESDAY: INV and Stetson East will be open from 7:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m.
- Off-campus residents with meal cards: with the shuttle service not running later Monday night and Tuesday, please use other modes of transportation to get to the dining halls.
- MONDAY: Marino will stay open until 10:00 p.m. SquashBusters and Cabot will close at 9:15 p.m.
- TUESDAY: Marino will open at 8:00 a.m. SquashBusters and Cabot will be closed.
- OPEN and operational Monday and Tuesday as usual.
- MONDAY'S event featuring Laverne Cox in Blackman is STILL ON AS PLANNED.
Curry Student Center:
- Curry will be closed on Tuesday.
- Off-campus students, we encourage you to prepare as necessary with food, fully charged cell phones, working flashlights, etc.
IMPORTANT: The road conditions, including streets and sidewalks, are expected to be treacherous Monday night and Tuesday. The MBTA will be closed on Tuesday and drivers are asked to stay off the roads. Our Facilities staff will be working around the clock the keep the campus safe, but please plan on staying indoors to keep warm and safe.
Faculty and Staff: Please be reminded that our Employee Assistance Program, LifeScope, is available 24/7 at 877.739.3989. Whether seeking emergency resources, temporary housing, or emotional support, LifeScope counselors can assist benefits eligible faculty and staff and their dependents in impacted and threatened areas.
Emergency Contact Information
Northeastern University is committed to providing members of its community with a safe and secure place in which to live, work and study.
The University is prepared to respond to emergencies and urgent situations that require immediate action. A trained team of police officers, EMTs, health and counseling experts, student affairs and residential life staff, and other professionals form a coordinated group that is able to manage a wide range of potential situations.
NU ALERT – Emergency broadcast communication messages
In case of emergency or crisis situations that require immediate notification, University officials will deploy the NU ALERT system, which sends email, voicemail and text messages to students, faculty and staff. NU ALERT is intended to communicate pertinent information and, when appropriate, provide directions to those in the affected area(s).
Examples of crisis situations range from snow storms to national emergencies that have a local impact.
PLEASE NOTE: The NU ALERT system broadcasts messages to the email addresses and telephone numbers students, faculty and staff have provided the University. It is important that the information is accurate and up to date. Students, faculty and staff can change or update their contact information by logging into the portal at www.myneu.neu.edu and following the instructions. The information you provide is kept completely confidential and will only be used to provide updates to the NU ALERT system.
Important contact information
Police, fire and medical emergency (617) 373-3333
Non-Emergency Police Number
(617) 373-5761 (Fax)
(617) 373-3934 (TTY)
Personal Safety Escort Program
Provides personal safety escorts for persons walking from one point on campus to another, and traveling from the campus to their off-campus residence after dark (within one mile of the campus).
We Care Support System
We Care is in place to aid departments in developing their own systems to deal with student crisis, as well as to aid faculty and staff who request guidance in identifying existing Northeastern resources for students.
Location: 104 Ell Hall, Office of the Vice President of Student Affairs
Open Monday through Friday.
Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
Human Resources Management
Location: 250 Columbus Place
The Center for Spirituality, Dialog, and Service
Location: 2nd and 3rd floors of Ell Hall
Open seven days a week.
University Health and Counseling Services
Location: Forsyth Building on Forsyth Street, Suite 135.
Open Monday through Saturday.