Services for International Students and Scholars

Employment Outside the U.S.

Students physically working outside the United States do not require work authorization from the OGS. Authorization must be given for work that physically takes place within the United States.

Please note that if you are returning to the United States while working abroad or on international co-op to perform work for a short period (such as a business trip or conference) this would require authorization. Please reach out to the OGS to inquire about this if you believe this is your situation.

As always, when travelling abroad, it is important to make sure that you are checking your I-20 before leaving the United States to see if you will need a new travel signature. Please fill out a Travel Signature Request Form or check our website for travel signature session times and dates.

While it is not required for students to bring any extra documentation, some students going on global co-op may want to bring a letter with them when re-entering the United States explaining why they have been outside of the country. Below is a sample letter you may modify and sign yourself to bring with you. In addition, OGS recommends that you bring an official transcript with you to show your enrollment in classes while you are abroad.