The Master of Science in Data Analytics Engineering offers students an opportunity to train for industry jobs or to acquire rigorous analytical skills and research experience to prepare for a doctoral program in health, security, and sustainability at Northeastern University.
Data Analytics Engineering offers students an opportunity to train for industry jobs or to acquire rigorous analytical skills and research experience to prepare for a doctoral program in health, security, and sustainability at Northeastern University. The Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) offers this degree program in order to meet the current and projected demand for a workforce trained in analytics. While the core courses for this program are offered by the College of Engineering, elective courses can be chosen from diverse disciplines spread across various colleges at Northeastern. The MS degree in data analytics engineering is designed to enable the graduating students to address the growing need for professionals who are trained in advanced data analytics and can transform large streams of data into understandable and actionable information for the purpose of making decisions. The key sectors that require analytics professionals include healthcare, smart manufacturing, supply chain and logistics, national security, defense, banking, finance, marketing, and human resources.
This degree program seeks to prepare students for a comprehensive list of tasks including collecting, storing, processing and analyzing data, reporting statistics and patterns, drawing conclusions and insights, and making actionable recommendations.
- This program meets F-1 international student status requirements
- Core courses for this program are offered by the College of Engineering, while elective courses can be chosen from diverse disciplines spread across various colleges at Northeastern.
- Program designed to enable the graduating students to address the growing need for professionals who are trained in advanced data analytics.
The MS in Data Analytics Engineering is designed to help students acquire knowledge and skills to:
- Discover opportunities to improve systems, processes, and enterprises through data analytics
- Apply optimization, statistical, and machine-learning methods to solve complex problems involving large data from multiple sources
- Collect and store data from a variety of sources, including Internet of Things (IoT), an integrated network of devices and sensors, customer touch points, processes, social media, and people
- Work with technology teams to design and build large and complex SQL databases
- Use tools and methods for data mining, big-data algorithms, and data visualization to generate reports for analysis and decision-making
- Create integrated views of data collected from multiple sources of an enterprise
- Understand and explain results of data analytics to decision makers
- Design and develop analytics projects
- Completed online application form
- $75 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Official GRE scores
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants
Applications received after the stated deadline dates will be accepted and processed when complete as quickly as possible; however it may not be possible to have a decision rendered in time for the applicant to begin taking classes for the desired term if admitted.
Applications submitted by the referenced dates will receive full consideration for the referenced term. Applications received after the above referenced dates will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
|Funding/Early Action Deadline for domestic and international applicants:||January 15|
|Deadline for international applicants (outside the U.S.):||May 15|
|Deadline for international applicants (inside the U.S.):||July 1|
|Deadline for domestic applicants:||August 1|
|Deadline for regional campus applicants:||August 15|
|Deadline for international applicants (outside the U.S.):||September 15|
|Deadline for International applicants (inside the U.S.):||November 1|
|Deadline for domestic applicants:||November 15|
|Deadline for regional campus applicants:||December 15|
Complete one of the following options:
Course Work Option
Complete 8 semester hours from the Course List below.
Complete 4 semester hours from the Course List below.
Complete 8 semester hours of thesis:
Civil Engineering and Environmental Engineering
Computer Systems Engineering
Electrical and Computer Engineering
Public Policy and Urban Affairs
The College of Engineering Graduate Cooperative Education Program (co-op) is one option for experiential learning and is available on a competitive basis to selected students. Cooperative Education at the graduate level is not just a way to gain real-world experience. It allows you to challenge, network, expand, and fine-tune your knowledge within your respective industry. The goals of cooperative education are to:
- Apply knowledge and skills in new, authentic contexts.
- Develop new knowledge and skills.
- Integrate and use the deepened knowledge and skills in your academic programs.
- Reflect on and articulate how you used your knowledge and skills, how you gained new knowledge and skills, and how “theory and practice” work together.
The Graduate School of Engineering placed over 200 students with some of the most sought-after technical skills in positions nationally during the 2015 academic year. Our team prepares you for cooperative education experience through resume building, developing interview skills, and guiding professional development.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 245,000 alumni and 3,200+ employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Engineering alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- GE Aviation
- CDM Smith
- Bose Corporation
What They Do
- Business Development
- Program and Project Management
What They're Skilled At
- Project Management
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.