Question: I did not download any copyrighted material, why am I receiving a copyright infringement complaint?
When students receive a copyright complaint and did not download anything they probably have a wireless router registered to their name. As stated in the Appropriate Use Policy (AUP), the person who is the registered user of a wireless router is responsible for any and all activity that takes place over the wireless router. If your roommate downloads files from the internet through your wireless router, the AUP states that you are responsible.
There are several options to prevent this from occurring:
1. Ask your roommate(s) and friends not to download any copyrighted material through your wireless router.
2. Enable strong password protection on the wireless router to prevent unknown people from connecting and downloading copyrighted material.
3. If all else fails, unregister the wireless router from your account.
- Go to: http://registerresnet.neu.edu
- Log in using your myNEU username and password.
- On the Student Portal locate the device you wish to unregister
- Select the ‘Unregister’ link next to the device.
You can always reregister or have another student register the device to their account.
SecureNU: Wireless Access Points – Set Up Examples