You may also find this New Student page useful.
For help connecting to NUwave:
What is NUwave?
NUwave is Northeastern University’s secured wireless internet service.
What do I need to connect to NUwave?
Besides a computer with a wireless card, students will need their myNEU credentials (username and password) to connect to NUwave.
Where can I access NUwave?
NUWave is accessible in all academic and administrative buildings on campus, and in all classrooms. NUWave is also available in all of International Village, Northeastern’s newest residence hall. In other residence halls, NUWave is available in common spaces, but NUwave coverage is not supported in student rooms. Click here to learn how to set up your own wireless network in your room.
Why should I use NUwave instead of NUwave-guest?
NUwave, the network for University affiliates, is safer and more secure than NUwave-guest. Traffic over NUwave-guest is NOT encrypted, meaning information like passwords, credit card numbers, and sensitive personal information could be captured by others in the area. Further, many internet applications that work on NUwave won’t work with NUwave-guest.
I’m a student, and I need help setting up my NUwave connection.
If following the instructions above does not work, you can call the ITS Service Desk at 617-373-HELP (4357), or bring your computer to the ResNet Resource Center for further assistance.
Personal Router Information
Students are now permitted to register and use personal wireless routers/access points in most University-owned housing!
- Personal wireless routers are NOT permitted in International Village, which has 100% secure NUwave wireless coverage.
- ITS provides limited support for the initial set-up of wireless routers only. Troubleshooting of personal wireless equipment is NOT supported by ITS.
- Students must register their personal wireless equipment for use on ResNet.
- Students must use an SSID (network name) that properly identifies your location (click here for examples). Never use the SSIDs “NUwave”, “NUwave- guest”, or any variants of an SSID using the letters “NUWAVE” or “NUwave-guest”. These SSIDs are reserved for University use only. Unauthorized use of University-reserved SSIDs may subject the violator to suspension of service and/or referral to the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution.
- Students are responsible and liable for all activity originating from their ResNet port.
- All students will still have a supported wired ResNet connection in their room. This wired connection is faster, safer, and recommended by the University.
- Please see the Appropriate Use Policy for more information.
- This page from Information Security has more detailed information on initial configuration of your router.
- This page from Information Security has more detailed security recommendations for your router.