Traveling & Health
As we head into the holiday season and end of the fall term, you may be traveling from Boston. Given the COVID-19 pandemic and health precautions and testing are required before your departure. It is important to give yourself plenty of time in advance of your leaving to plan ahead.
Considerations for traveling
COVID-19 test: Before you travel, be sure to get a COVID-19 test and wait for the negative results.
Northeastern requirements: Review the Northeastern University travel webpage. This site has great information and guides about traveling, including a required travel form, which all students must complete.
Travel within the United States: Review the testing needs of the place you are traveling to. If you are going to another state, review the state website to see if there are requirements for testing prior to arrival, or quarantine guidelines for once you have arrived.
Travel Internationally: For students traveling internationally, please be sure to check the State Department’s website, as well the Embassy for the country you are traveling to. Many countries have testing requirements prior to boarding flights, and coordinating the testing and results in advance is needed to ensure compliance with the regulations.
Additional COVID-19 Testing: Information about additional COVID-19 testing will be available soon. This information is specifically those who are traveling internationally and need antibody (IgM, IgG, etc.) testing. Please note the testing done at the university testing sites, are PCR tests.
International students: Stay in touch with the latest updates by first visiting https://international.northeastern.edu/ogs/. Important updates and resources regarding travel are also available at the OGS website. Should you have additional questions after reviewing the information posted, please contact OGS with your inquiry.
Documentation: Students needing a letter for air travel can contact UHCS. UHCS is able to to provide a letter confirming your test results from the Cabot Testing Center. We are not able to provide results that differ from what your test labs indicate. In addition we are not able to provide antibody testing on campus. Students needing verification for travel, can contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow 48 hours for the letter to be written. UHCS is not able to provide notes on the weekend.
How to stay healthy while traveling?
- Wear your mask.
- Wash your hands frequently.
- Stay 6 feet apart.
- Avoid shaking hands
- Cough or sneeze into your sleeve
- Strictly follow advisories and public health guidelines
Returning to Boston
If you decide to travel and return to campus, Northeastern requires students to follow these guidelines upon their return:
- Complete a COVID-19 test at the Cabot Testing Center on arrival and quarantine until their first negative test result. Students are permitted to leave to pick up food, get testing or medical care, or use shared hall bathrooms or showers, but must otherwise stay in their room until they receive a negative result from the test.
- Wait for a second negative test to resume in-person classes. Students will have a second test on day four and may fully resume campus activities—including in-person class attendance—after receiving a second negative test result. Following these re-entry requirements may mean that students are able to attend only one or two in-person classes before the term ends.
Students should complete the travel return form when they return to the Boston area.