northeastern university seal

New to NU – Students

Welcome to Northeastern and congratulations! Please review the information below to assist you in managing your health needs and responsibilities as a Northeastern student.

We understand that obtaining a signed health report may be more difficult given the current COVID-19 pandemic. Please see our page on the University Health Report during COVID-19 for updated information about completing the University Health Report during the pandemic.

Health reports should be submitted via email 617-373-2601 (fax) or email No paper reports will be accepted, given the current COVID19 pandemic. 

Massachusetts law requires students to provide documentation of immunity to a number of infectious illnesses. The first page of the University Health Report includes demographic information and consent to be treated at UHCS. The second page needs to be completed and signed by a licensed clinician.

Your completed University Health Report is due now!!

Have you submitted your required University Health Report?

Click the image below to learn about the University Health Report.

University Health Report Checklist

Click the image below to review the step-by-step checklist, to guide you through the steps of completing the University Health Report.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you have a question about the University Health Report? Check out our frequently asked questions as a first step.

What immunizations do I need?

Hep B – Hepatitis B
Tdap – Tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis
MMR – Measles, mumps and rubella 
Varicella – Chickenpox
Influenza – new requirement as of August 2020

– A complete list of required immunizations and their schedules is found on the second page of the University Health Report
– These immunizations help protect against measles, mumps, rubella, tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis (tdap), hepatitis B, varicella/chicken pox, meningitis and influenza 2020-2021. 
– All full time and part time students at Northeastern University are required to submit documentation of immunizations. UHCS works closely with both the Massachusetts Department of Public Health and the Boston Public Health Commission to ensure that you have complied with this mandate. If UHCS does not receive your complete immunization record, you are at risk of being held out of classes and university activities. 

Can my parents confirm that I had the vaccines?

No. Massachusetts Department of Public Health requires that UHCS receive the health form and immunizations signed by your health care provider.

What should I do if I can’t access my immunization records?

You may have a blood test called antibody titer that shows whether you are already immune to measles, mumps, rubella, varicella, and Hepatitis B. You will need to get a tetanus/diphtheria/pertussis (Tdap) booster. This antibody titer tests can be done at your local health care provider office. Titers may be drawn at UHCS – please see fee schedule– for students already on campus. 

My doctor says I only need one measles immunization, is this true?

No.  Massachusetts Department of Public Health, requires proof of two measles immunizations, both administered after January 1, 1968, at least one month apart, and after your first birthday.

Why do I need two mumps vaccines?

University Health and Counseling Services works with the Boston Public Health Commission and Massachusetts Department of Public Health. University requirements reflect the recommendations of both. Two doses of the mumps vaccine or a positive titer are required. The two mumps doses must be given at least 28 days apart, beginning at or after the first birthday.

What is the difference between the Td and the Tdap vaccines?

Tdap is a combination vaccine that includes tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis. Td is a booster vaccine for tetanus and diphtheria. Td does not protect against pertussis. 

In my country, rubella is not available, how can I get this vaccine?

UHCS provides Shots and Immunizations as well as titer testing. Students with Northeastern University Student Health Plan (NUSHP) are covered for all of their required vaccine costs. If you do not have NUSHP, vaccines may be purchased with a credit or debit card. 

How many shots are included in the hepatitis B immunization?

The hepatitis B immunization is comprised of 3 shots. The first shot can be given at any time, the second dose needs to be administered at least one month after the first. The third dose at least two months after the second and four months after the first. 

I had a meningitis vaccine 6 or more years ago, am I still covered?

No. Northeastern University requires students to have the meningitis immunization within 5 years of the start of school.

Can I receive immunizations at UHCS?

Yes. UHCS provides Shots and Immunizations as well as titer testing. Students with Northeastern University Student Health Plan (NUSHP) are covered for all of their required vaccine costs. If you do not have NUSHP, vaccines may be purchased with a credit or debit card.

The result of my blood titer was “equivocal” or “borderline”, what does this mean?

You may need another immunization to boost your immunity. Please review with your clinician or contact UHCS with any questions 617-373-2772. 

What will happen to me if I’m exposed to an infectious illness for which I am not appropriately vaccinated?

The Boston Department of Public Health or Massachusetts Department of Public Health may determine that you have been exposed to an infectious illness and if you are not appropriately immunized, you may be  required to be excluded from all University activities on campus including classes, academic work, residence halls, dining and social groups, for the specific time that encompasses your period of potential contagiousness. You will be allowed to return to campus after the risk of contracting the illness has passed.

What will happen if I do not have all of my immunizations documented?

Students who do not have all of the required immunizations documented or there is any problems with the timeline of immunizations, will receive an email from UHCS. It is important to read the UHCS email to see what immunizations are missing or incomplete. There are various options to complete the immunizations including, seeing your local health care provider, UHCS or visiting a local travel clinic in Boston.  

What if I cannot have vaccines due to medical or religious reasons?

Students who have a medical reason for not receiving an immunization, must submit a letter from their health care provider documenting the reason and diagnosis that prohibits receiving a vaccine and specify which vaccine. This letter can be submitted to UHCS via email or fax 617-373-2601.

Students who have a religious reason must submit a letter, authored by the student, expressing the reason for the exemption and include a signature and date. This letter can be submitted to UHCS via email or fax 617-373-2601.

Please note that students with vaccine exemptions may be required to follow exclusion orders from the BPHC and MDPH in the cases of being exposed to infectious illness.

How do I submit my completed University Health Report?

The completed University Health Report can be returned to University Health and Counseling Services by or fax 617-373-2601.