Social Entrepreneurship and Sustainable Development
This SEI/DMSB Dialogue provides Northeastern students the chance to meet with and learn from social entrepreneurs in India. These women are Ashoka Fellows, leading literary figures, publicly elected officials and social activists from the diverse corners of Indian society. They focus on a range of issues from farming, public health, and public service, to mobile technology, impact investing, film arts and civic engagement.
The second half of the course entails hands-on social enterprise mini-consulting alongside Indian business students designing social innovations in urban poverty, informal economy, resilient cities, and health and sanitation, among other topics. Cutting across both modules are applied methods of sustainable development practice, social entrepreneurship and social enterprise principles, and human-centered design thinking. Thoughtful use of social media, photography and film for storytelling, and healing arts such as yoga, meditation, music, cooking, drawing and dance are also integral parts of both courses. Visits to the Taj Mahal, ancient Buddhist temples and caves, and train travel ensure a full immersion into India’s culture and history.
- ENTR4512 Gender Perspectives on Integrated, Participatory Development in India
- ENTR4514 Social Entrepreneurship and Design Thinking in Mumbai’s Urban Slums
- This program is open to students in good standing with a minimum 2.5 GPA.
- There are no prerequisites for this course, although sophomores, juniors and seniors with a strong interest in international relations, market-based solutions to poverty, design thinking and sustainable development are encouraged to apply.
- Although it is not a formal prerequisite, you are strongly encouraged to have taken ENTR2206 Global Social Enterprise
S.P. Jain Institute of Management and Research and The Tata Institute of Social Sciences
Students will stay in either hotel or dorm-room accommodations for the duration of the program.
Some information posted here is tentative and subject to change based on costs and dates of available flights. The website is updated as current information becomes available.