Congratulations, Thanks, and the RISE:2021 Awards
Congratulations and thanks to all for making the RISE:2021 Virtual Expo such a remarkable event. RISE Day was, as always, filled with exciting discussions about big ideas and bold solutions—and more of them this year than ever before. This event wouldn’t have been possible without our entire community:
- Our student presenters, who are rising to the challenges and opportunities of our moment through research and creative endeavor. You should feel proud.
- Our judges, who offered generous and insightful feedback to our presenters. We are grateful to you for sharing your time and expertise.
- Our research and creative mentors, inside and outside Northeastern, who guide and support our learners as they embrace the possibilities of experience-driven education.
- Our speakers and panelists, who modeled the multidisciplinary approaches that will shape our future.
- Our sponsors–Schneider Electric, Verrill, and Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds–who believe in Northeastern’s researchers and creative practitioners.
- Our university partners and planning committee, whose support made RISE:2021 a reality.
At the conclusion of RISE Day, we announced winners of the People’s Choice Awards in each RISE presentation category. Congratulations to all who were selected by our audience for the People’s Choice Awards! While it took us a bit longer to tabulate the other results, we are very excited to announce the winners of the 2021 RISE and FOCUS Awards–click here to see them all!
This year’s awardees were determined through a rigorous and fair process that allowed them to stand out from a distinguished, accomplished, and expansive group. For those who are curious, we will take a moment to explain our process.
Every RISE presentation was reviewed and evaluated by a RISE judge, and the use of prerecorded presentations (rather than posters) ensured that judges got to hear presenters explain their work. Due to the record-breaking participation in this year’s event, our generous judges worked asynchronously and synchronously to give every presentation the attention it deserved. While most RISE presenters did get to talk with a judge on RISE Day, the nature of this very large, live, globe-spanning event—and the reality of our judges’ lives—did result in a few circumstances where live Q&A did not occur.
Every presentation was reviewed according to our rigorous criteria with respect to Background, Motivation, and Goals; Process and Methods; Findings, Products, Results, and Next Steps; and the Recorded Presentation. If presenters had an opportunity to engage in live discussion with a judge on RISE Day, then we factored the judge’s evaluation of that conversation into the scoring. If not, we excluded that element, then scaled the scores for fairness. Thus, students who did not have a live conversation with a judge were not penalized in any way.
Congratulations once more to all RISE presenters, and especially to the RISE Awardees. Thank you to our entire community for making this event possible—and see you at RISE:2022!