Chemistry Computer Science Data Science Energy Engineering Environmental Materials Science Math (STEM)
FY 2020 Continuation of Solicitation for the Office of Science Financial Assistance Program
DOE - Department of Energy (DOE SC_FOA_0002181)
- Proposal: 09/30/2020
- Duration: up to 5 years
The Office of Science mission is to deliver scientific discoveries and major scientific tools to transform our understanding of nature and advance the energy, economic and national security of the United States. SC is the Nation’s largest Federal sponsor of basic research in the physical sciences and the lead Federal agency supporting fundamental scientific research for our Nation’s energy future.
The following topic areas are covered by this solicitation please see the FOA for information about sub-topics:
1. Advanced Scientific Computing Research (ASCR)
2. Basic Energy Sciences (BES)
3. Biological and Environmental Research (BER)
4. Fusion Energy Sciences (FES)
5. High Energy Physics (HEP)
6. Nuclear Physics (NP)
This FOA (DE-FOA-0002181) is our annual, broad, open solicitation that covers all of the research areas in the SC and is open throughout the Fiscal Year.
This FOA will remain open until September 30, 2020, 11:59 PM Eastern Time, or until it is succeeded by another issuance, whichever occurs first.
SC accomplishes its mission and advances national goals by supporting:
• The frontiers of science—exploring nature’s mysteries from the study of fundamental subatomic particles, atoms, and molecules that are the building blocks of the materials of our universe and everything in it to the DNA, proteins, and cells that are the building blocks of life. Each of the programs in SC supports research probing the most fundamental disciplinary questions.
• The 21st Century tools of science—providing the nation’s researchers with 27 state-of-the-art national scientific user facilities – the most advanced tools of modern science – propelling the U.S. to the forefront of science, technology development and deployment through innovation.
• Science for energy and the environment―paving the knowledge foundation to spur discoveries and innovations for advancing the Department’s mission in energy and environment. SC supports a wide range of funding modalities from single principal investigators to large team-based activities to engage in fundamental research on energy production, conversion, storage, transmission, and use, and on our understanding of the earth systems.
Eligibility & Submission Requirements
The award size will depend on the number of meritorious applications and the availability of appropriated funds.
Awards are expected to be made for a project period of six months to five years as befitting the project, with the most common project period being three years in duration.
A pre-application (also called a white paper) is recommended but optional. Before submitting a pre-application, read the information in Section I of the FOA carefully to make sure your idea is responsive and to select the topical subprogram most relevant to your idea. Feedback from DOE to the principal investigator is optional, but you are encouraged to use your submitted pre-application/white paper to initiate a discussion with the listed program manager about the appropriateness of the proposed research for this solicitation.
Questions regarding the specific program areas/technical requirements should be directed to the point of contact listed for each program office within the FOA.