Dear Colleague Letter: MPS/DMS-EPSRC Lead Agency Opportunity in Mathematical Sciences
NSF - National Science Foundation (NSF 19-082)
The US National Science Foundation (NSF) and UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) on Research Cooperation. The MOU provides an overarching framework to encourage collaboration between US and UK research communities and sets out the principles by which jointly supported activities might be developed. The MOU allows for a lead agency opportunity whereby a single international collaborative proposal may be submitted to either NSF or UKRI.
The NSF Division of Mathematical Sciences of the Directorate for Mathematical and Physical Sciences (MPS/DMS) and the UKRI Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) are pleased to announce topical areas associated with the lead agency opportunity. The lead agency opportunity allows for reciprocal acceptance of merit review through unsolicited mechanisms and its goal is to help facilitate collaboration and reduce some of the current barriers to working internationally.
Scope of the Activity:
- Proposals will be accepted for collaborative research in areas at the intersection of the MPS/DMS and EPSRC missions. Proposers will be expected to review the relevant NSF-MPS/DMS Program Descriptions and the EPSRC website for information on which areas of research are eligible for support through this collaboration.
- NSF-MPS/DMS and EPSRC agree in principle to allow joint UK-US proposals to be submitted to and merit reviewed by whichever agency’s investigators have the largest proportion of the research. Both agencies reserve the right to decide which agency will act as lead when inviting a formal proposal.
- This collaboration covers a pilot phase from January 2020, with a review point after three years (January 2023). This will allow for the pilot to extend over a complete MPS/DMS funding round.
- This collaboration principally covers unsolicited (NSF) or standard (EPSRC) proposals, with managed/solicited calls included on a case-by-case basis by prior agreement of MPS/DMS and EPSRC.
- Each agency has its own funding parameters and principles that will be followed when reviewing proposals. Proposals are expected to adhere to typical proposal sizes and durations for the DMS and EPSRC Themes from which funding is sought.
- Proposers are advised that all documents submitted to NSF or EPSRC as the lead agency may be shared by email or other electronic means to the non-lead agency.
- At all stages, the lead agency will seek to keep the non-lead agency informed at a suitable level.