Academic training (AT) is an employment authorization granted to eligible J-1 students. It is designed to complement their programs of study in the United States.
- AT can only be authorized by the program sponsor.
- Students may engage in AT during their academic program and/or after the completion of their program.
- AT can be paid or unpaid and must be authorized regardless of compensation.
- The work must be directly related to the student’s field of study.
- The work must be commensurate with their level of education.
- The total amount of training cannot exceed the total length of the academic program.
- AT authorization is location and date specific. The employer’s name and address, and the precise start and end dates must be authorized in advance by the OGS in SEVIS.