Services for International Students and Scholars

J-1 Student Interns

J-1 Student-Intern Eligibility

J-1 Student Interns are defined as students currently enrolled and pursuing a degree in accredited post-secondary academic institutions outside the United States.

They must be participating in an internship program in the United States that will fulfill the educational objectives of their current degree programs at their home institutions, and they must return to their home institutions upon completion of the internship. They must verify that they have English language skills sufficient to function on a day-to-day basis in the internship environment. They may participate in student internship programs for up to 12 months for each degree program using the J-1 visa. They must comply with the requirement of having health insurance while participating in the J program.

J-1 Student Interns cannot participate in any clinical care positions or any other position that involves patient contact. Any work that would require them to provide therapy, medication, or other clinical or medical treatment is prohibited (e.g. sport or physical therapy, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, psychological counseling, social work, speech therapy, or early childhood education).

Applying for your J-1 Visa

A non-immigrant visa is the proof of assessment conducted by the officials at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate that certifies a person may seek admission to the U.S. for a specific purpose. Therefore, you will need to submit certain documents at the U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate to explain the purpose of your visit to the U.S. Your Certificate of Eligibility (DS-2019) and your Training/Internship Placement Plan (T/IPP DS-7002) are both necessary to obtain a J-1 student-intern visa to come to Northeastern University.

Make sure that you do not enter the U.S. in a Visitor status (B-1, B-2, WT, or WB). Please note that if you enter the U.S. on the Visa Waiver Program you will be required to leave the U.S. in order to re-enter on the proper visa. For more information please refer to

After you have received your DS-2019 and DS-7002 from Northeastern, you are encouraged to apply for a visa ASAP to ensure ample time for visa processing. Generally embassies or consulates ask for the following documentation:

  • Certificate of Eligibility for non-immigrant visa (DS-2019) issued by Northeastern University: Your assigned SEVIS ID is in the upper right corner of page 1. Check to see that all information is correct. Read the regulations on page 2 and then sign and date at the bottom of page 1 BEFORE your visa appointment.
  • Training/Internship Placement Plan (DS-7002) issued by Northeastern University: Please read this over thoroughly to understand what the details of your internship will be. Sign and date page 1 BEFORE your visa appointment.
  • Valid passport: Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months after your proposed date of entry in the United States.
  • Financial evidence that shows you have sufficient funds to cover your living expenses during the period you intend to study. The yearly requirement for Northeastern is $28,000. You will need to bring documentation for all sources of funding listed on your DS-2019 (e.g. offer letter, personal funds, family funds etc.).
  • Proof of SEVIS I-901 fee payment
  • Offer letter from Northeastern
  • Complete Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application Form (DS-160): Access the online DS-160 form:
  • One photograph: See here for more information: 
  • Visa Application Fee: Check with your embassy or consulate for their information (this is different from SEVIS fee).

Each embassy or consulate may have different rules about what documentation is needed or what procedures must be followed when applying for a visa. For this reason, you will need to check with the specific embassy or consulate you will be applying at to see what steps you must take. To find an embassy or consulate near you please refer here:

Once you have received your visa, you may enter the U.S. up to 30 days before the program start date listed on your DS-2019.

Requesting Your DS-2019 and DS-7002 from Northeastern

In order to get your visa and to enter the United States you will need to apply with Northeastern for a DS-2019 and DS-7002.

DS-2019 – This form is also called the “Certificate of Eligibility” and is used for all exchange visitors in the J-visa category. This form provides information about your purpose and nature of activity in the United States (including: University Name, start date, end date, category of visa etc.).

DS-7002 This form is also called the “Training/Internship Placement Plan” or T/IPP for short. This form provides very specific information about the nature of your student-internship in the United States and will also be needed when you apply for your visa.

How to Request DS-2019 and DS-7002:

Step 1: Supervisor Completes Site of Activity Form with OGS

Step 2: Supervisor Completes English Language Verification Form with OGS

Step 3: Supervisor Emails Student-Intern with link to OGS form

Step 3: Student-Intern Completes J-1 Health Insurance Requirement Form with OGS

Step 5: Student-Intern Completes Student-Intern Personal Information Form with OGS

Step 6: Student-Intern Received DS-2019 and DS-7002 in mail

OGS Orientation and Mandatory Clearance Session

All J-1 student-interns must report to OGS within 30 days of their program start date for a mandatory clearance session and orientation session. Before your orientation you must complete the SSN Letter Request for J-1 Student-Interns. This can be found on the Forms and Guides section of this page.

Please make sure you bring with you the following documents on the day of orientation:

  • DS-2019
  • DS-7002
  • Passport
  • I-94

Please contact your program coordinator (Rachel Portwood for more information about the OGS orientation date for your cohort.

Health Insurance Requirements

J-1 student interns and their J-2 dependents must maintain required health insurance throughout their stay in the United States. This health insurance must cover the following benefits to the amount listed next to it:

  • Medical Benefit – $100,000
  • Repatriation of Remains – $25,000
  • Medical Evacuation – $50,000
  • Deductible per accident of illness – $500

Social Security Number (SSN)

If you are a J-1 student intern at Northeastern you are eligible for an SSN to engage in employment. You will need to present a letter from the OGS as evidence of work authorization to an official at the SSA to apply for an SSN. The OGS will provide you with the letter when you register with the OGS.

What to Take to Apply for a Social Security Number

For a J-1 student intern: take your passport, DS-2019, DS-7002, Form I-94, and the OGS letter authorizing employment to the Social Security Administration.

At the Social Security Administration office, you must complete the SSN application form. You will receive notification of your SSN in the mail. The process usually takes four to eight weeks. If you have not received your SSN within this time period, please contact the OGS. For more information, check the Social Security website or call the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. Once you have obtained an SSN, it is not necessary to apply for a new one if your employment changes. If you lose your SSN card and need to apply for a replacement card, you must prove once again that you are employed in the United States at the time of your application.

Change of Residential Address

Immigration regulations require that all non-citizens report their residential addresses within 10 days of entry to the United States and subsequently report any changes of address within 10 days to the Immigration authorities. J-1 student interns may report their address changes in myNEU.

Required Travel Documents



For travel outside the U. S. the following documents are required for re-entry to the U.S.:

  • Valid Form DS-2019 signed in the “travel validation” section by an HIO advisor
  • Valid J-1 visa stamp in the passport (except for Canadian citizens)
  • Valid passport

Am I allowed to work at another location off-campus or on-campus?

No – J-1 student-interns are only allowed to work at the site of activity mentioned on the I-983. Please keep in mind that even unpaid opportunities require authorization are also not allowed. Please speak with OGS before engaging in any other kind of internship, experiential or professional opportunity beyond what is outlined in your DS-7002 T/IPP.

Can I extend my time at Northeastern?

No – J-1 student-interns are only allowed to work at their site of activity for 12 months.