Services for International Students and Scholars

Transferring Out

If you are an F-1 student who would like to transfer your SEVIS record from Northeastern University to another school, you must submit a transfer out request to the OGS so that we can release your SEVIS record to your new school.

In order to have your SEVIS record transferred to your new university, you must be maintaining your F-1 student status per the government’s federal regulations.  You may request that our office transfer your
SEVIS record prior to the end of your program or prior to your last attendance at Northeastern, but the transfer release date that you indicate should occur after you have completed studies or after your last date of attendance.  Please note that if you have already completed your program, you must make sure to request your transfer out within your 60-day grace-period.

Steps to have your SEVIS Record Transferred to Your New University

1 . Submit the Transfer Out e-form (include link here) to the OGS

You will be required to upload the following documents to your e-form request:

  • New school’s official letter of admission
  • New school’s transfer-in form (if applicable)

2. Wait for your Transfer Out request to be processed by an OGS advisor

Please note that transfer out requests have a 10 business day processing time at the OGS, although we do work through requests as quickly as possible. Please make sure to submit a complete request in order to prevent delays in processing.

Important Reminders

  1. In order to be eligible for a SEVIS transfer, you must be maintaining valid F-1 student status. You must enroll in your new school for the next available program start-date or no more than 5 months later than your last date of enrollment at Northeastern or of the last date that you were employed on OPT – whichever comes first.
  2. If you are planning to withdraw from your program at Northeastern University, and you choose to transfer to another school in the U.S. and if the OGS receives your transfer request prior toyour withdrawal from the Universitywe may be able to transfer your SEVIS record to your new school rather than terminating your SEVIS record. Please consult with the OGS regarding your eligibility to transfer out.
  3. If you plan to transfer out in the middle of the academic term, you must be enrolled as a full-time student up to the point of having your SEVIS record transferred out. Please consult with the OGS regarding your eligibility to transfer out.