Services for International Students and Scholars

Program Extensions

If you are unable to complete your program of study before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019, you must apply to the Office of Global Services (OGS) for a program extension at least 30 days before the program end date on your I-20 or DS-2019. Complete the OGS Program Extension Request and submit it to the Office of Global Services.

In order to be eligible for Program Extension, a student must:

  • Submit the completed Program Extension Request to the OGS prior to the program end date on your most recent I-20 or DS-2019.
  • Currently be maintaining valid F-1 or J-1 status.
  • Have a compelling academic or medical reason that is cause for the delay in completion of the program. The list of government approved reasons can be found at the OGS Program Extension Request 
  • Resolve any financial holds on your NEU account before submitting the extension request to the OGS.

When requesting an I-20 for your Northeastern program of study, please show all sources of your financial support and ensure that the sum equals or exceeds the estimated expenses for yourself and any dependents.

All financial documentation must be in English (or certified English translations must be included) and must be issued within 9 months of your program start date.

Financial sources must be readily available liquid assets, such as:

  • Checking or savings accounts
  • Money market accounts
  • Certificates/term deposits/fixed deposits (with maturity dates no later than the program start date)
  • Educational loans (a loan application is not sufficient)
  • Benevolent account
  • Current account
  • Post Office accounts
  • University scholarships
  • Financial guarantee letters (for SACM or SABIC international students)

The following are examples of sources that are NOT acceptable:

  • Investment portfolios

(Examples: stocks, bonds, mutual funds)

  • Retirement plans
  • Public Provident funds
  • Available lines of credit
  • Wire transfers
  • Deeds to real estate
  • Leases with rental income
  • Salary agreements or paystubs
  • Material items (examples: livestock, land, jewelry, fur)
  • Income tax forms

Am I able to get a program extension after my program extension has passed?

No – after your program end date has passed – OGS is no longer able to extend you. If you believe that you will need a program extension please make sure that you apply with OGS well in advance.

I need a program extension for my current CPT. Do I need to wait for my program extension to be approved first?

No – you can apply for both your CPT and your program extension at the same time. OGS will not deny CPT requests that require program extensions as long as they are at least pending. Keep in mind that if you file a CPT request that requires a program extension and you don’t file a program extension then your CPT will be denied.