Services for International Students and Scholars


F-1 visa holders who would like their spouse and/or children who are under 21 years of age to accompany them or to join them in the U.S. may apply to the OGS for apply for an I-20(s) for an F-2 dependent(s).

New students may choose to apply for F-2 I-20’s for family members at the same time that they complete the forms for their initial I-20.  See (insert link to “New Student I-20 Request Forms”).  Current continuing students and students on OPT may request an I-20 for a dependent by using the Request for SEVIS I-20/DS-2019 (Request for SEVIS I-20/DS-2019).

Once your dependent receives their F-2 I-20, they will need to schedule their visa appointment at a U.S. consulate abroad. It may be possible for them to apply for their F-2 visas at the same time that you have an appointment to obtain your F-1 visa is applicable.  You should check with the consulate you plan to visit  for details.  It is also possible for your dependent(s) to join you in the U.S. at a later time. Please note the following important information below:

  • Dependents do not need to pay a SEVIS fee
  • F-2 dependents may not work during their stay in the United States
  • Your F-2 spouse may study part-time, and children with F-2 visas should attend elementary, middle, and high school while you study in the United States.