September 1st is a very exciting and busy day in Boston, as most leases begin on this date. Moving vans and delivery trucks clog the streets as thousands of people move into apartments. We’re here to help you prepare! Not moving in September? You may still follow the steps below to ensure a smooth move.
- 1. Request to move in early. Landlords and management companies may let you move in early if the apartment is available.
- 2. Consider moving in a few days later to allow crowds to clear. Classes start on September 5th, 2018 giving you some flexibility.
- 3. Reserve a moving truck, van or rental car well in advance.
- 4. Forward your mail if applicable. Change your address with the post office and notify the electric, and cable company, etc. that you are moving.
- 5. Avoid moving things you don’t need. It’s time consuming and physically demanding. Donate items in good condition.
- 1. Follow special instructions for September 1 Move-In Day provided by Off Campus Student Services (posted here and sent via email to our newsletter subscribers in late August).
- 2. Download the Boston Trash and Recycling App to avoid fines.
- 3. Do not move into an unsafe or unsanitary apartment. Contact your landlord immediately or call the City of Boston by dialing 3-1-1. You may also report issues via BOS:311 app or tweet @BOS311 for assistance.
Is Your Apartment Up to Code?
Your apartment must meet minimum requirements. Review Boston’s required standards in the video below.
Inspect and Unpack
- 1. Within 15 days of moving in, complete the Apartment Condition Checklist and send a copy to your landlord or property manager. Take pictures too!
- 2. Review your Tenant Rights & Responsibilities to learn your rights as a Boston renter!
- 1. Purchase or rent furniture. This includes finding a good mattress to get the best sleep.
- 2. Check your apartment for safety and security.
- 3. Download the Northeastern SafeZone app and TransLoc Rider app to use the Northeastern Red Eye van.
- 4. Meet a Community Ambassador, learn more about your new neighborhood, or sign up for Breakfast Club.
- 5. Meet your neighbors and be a good neighbor!
Last updated: 10/13/17