Looking for an apartment? Wondering what neighborhood to live in? Looking for a roommate? We can help you answer these questions and navigate the process of moving off-campus and all the decisions that come with your off-campus living experience. Use these steps as your guide.
When to Start Your Search – Use the timeline below as your guide!
Click image to enlarge.
STEP 1: Ask yourself the following questions:
- What is my budget? How much do I need to pay upfront? View rental costs.
- What size apartment do I want? (studio, 1 bedroom, 2 bedroom or more)
- How long do I want to live there?
- What neighborhood do I want to live in?
- Do I want to live with roommates? Use the Roommate Selection Worksheet and Good Roommate Doc to find the best roommates for you!
- Do I have a co-signor?
- Do I need furniture?
STEP 2: Find an Apartment
- Find out when to start looking for an apartment in Boston using the off-campus-timeline.
- Sublet searches start in November for spring and April for summer.
- Contact Off Campus Student Services for advice on realtors and property managers.
- Use our Housing Database to search available apartments in the area and to find roommates.
- Contact a trusted realtor listed on our Housing Database.
- Visit several apartments in person with a realtor until you find one you like. Use the Apartment Hunting Checklist as your guide.
- Tell the realtor which apartment you want and ask about the next steps.
STEP 3: Understand Your Lease
- Do not sign a lease until you have fully read and understood it.
- Make sure all important information is included in the lease.
- Have Off Campus Student Services’ Lease Genius read your lease for you!
- If you do not agree to the clauses in the lease, ask for revisions or do not sign it and find another apartment.
- Get a copy of the lease after you sign it for your records.
Download these PDFs and use them while you are looking for an apartment: