Martie Moore is Chief Nursing Officer of Medline Industries, Inc. based in Northfield, IL. In this role, Moore develops forward-thinking...
Nurse Innovation & Entrepreneurship at Northeastern University in conjunction with AARP Innovation Labs presents Disruptive Solutions for Home Health Pitch Comptetition
Calling All Products, Prototypes, Apps and Ideas
Monday June 4th, 2018 5pm-10pm
Northeastern University East Village, 17th Floor
291 St. Botolph Street
Boston, MA 02115
We are excited to announce that this year’s Nurse Shark Tank will be a Pitch Competition event in partnership with AARP Innovation Labs and with support from the American Nurses Association.
This event is designed to bring together early stage startups to address opportunities to optimize solutions for independent living.
We welcome startups & entrepreneurs who have created solutions using disruptive technologies (artificial intelligence, virtual reality, augmented reality, robotics, IoT & other devices) to assist caregivers or nurses who empower individuals to live longer & more independently. If you are or know someone working in this space please direct them to our page.
For the best solutions we will give out 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place prizes:
1st Place Prizes sponsored by Medline: $5,000
2nd Place Prize sponsored by BD.com: $3,000
3rd Place Prize: $1,000
AARP People’s Choice Awards: AARP’s people’s choice award will be chosen by the audience. This winning team will go on to the final AARP Innovation Hatchery Pitch Event in Washington DC in October 2018!
All winning teams will also include:
- Private 1:1 meetings with top leadership of AARP Innovation Labs, BD.com and Medline
- Winner’s Blog on Nurse Innovation & Entrepreneurship Website – and blog will be shared across all our social media and in 1 Newsletter!
- Private 1 hour meeting with Dr. Kevin Scanlon, experience Venture Capitalist and Professor at Northeastern University
- All teams will be invited back to serve as “Mentors” in our 2019 Hackathon – to further expand their networks…
Check out some of the pitches from last year here
Do you have an award-winning workaround or an idea that keeps you up at night? Does it meet our early-stage startup criteria? Come pitch it to our panel! No pressure. At the end of the day, every nurse in attendance is looking to help each other succeed in their own entrepreneurial ventures. If you feel like you should apply, that’s probably because you should.
Join us for yet another fantastic night of pitching and networking.
Guidelines on Submission
Please submit the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
• 500-700 words on why you are a good match for the problem AARP, the ANA and Northeastern want to address
• Current amount of funding
• Current ROI and ROI streams
• Team Structure
• Growth Strategy
• Which leaders (and their titles) would be traveling to present if selected for the finalist pitch round
Note: All attachments and uploads must be in .pdf format with the name of the company listed in the file name
Considerations for submission details:
• Have a clear value proposition of your product. Ask yourself: “Does it really solve a problem in a smart way?” Convey it clearly.
• It’s up to you to define what exactly you’re impacting. What systems are you disrupting on a fundamental level? Make sure you clearly define what metrics you’ll be measuring too. Is it people helped? A ton of revenue? Creating behavioral change? Be clear and specific.
Show the impact. Can this be a solution for your community, city, country, or even a continent? Does it make lives of many people better?
• On the flip side, why should your startup be selected to participate in the reverse pitch? What do you have and what do you bring to the table that is appealing to our sponsors and judges?
In order to be eligible, you must be a digital health startup. To us and our sponsors, disruptive solutions for home health (enabling individuals to live longer, independently and with a higher quality of life) is the focus. Here are some subcategories that may help you decide whether your startup falls within our scope of focus:
or Other Technologies
Application submissions open on April 13th and close on May 12th, with an increased late fee submission deadline of May 23rd. Finalists who will be invited to the pitch at the June 4th event will be notified no later than May 23rd.
Please note: A $25.00 application fee is required for companies to apply to pitch to the SharkTank panel. General audience admission is free, but you MUST register online to attend.
Any questions should be directed to Kate G.McDonald at email@example.com or Amanda Rice at firstname.lastname@example.org
June 4, 2018
360 Huntington Ave, Boston, MA 02115