The Division’s Fire Safety Unit administers an aggressive program of regular inspection, testing, egress drills, and maintenance of university premises to ensure compliance with applicable fire and life safety codes and standards.
Fire Safety Tips:
- In case of a fire, pull fire alarm and evacuate the building immediately.
- Fires produce deadly gases; stay close to the ground.
- Pull stations are located on each floor of your residence hall near the exits.
Fire Safety Reminders
- Do not allow trash to accumulate.
- Careless disposal of cigarettes is the cause of many fires. The University has adopted a No Smoking policy campus wide
- The use of candles is prohibited in residence halls.
- Do not overload electrical outlets
- Holiday decorations can be dangerous, so consult your residence assistant for advice on decorating safely.
- Never leave your stove unattended when cooking.
Tampering with Fire Equipment
Tampering with pull stations, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers that cause false alarms inside of residence halls is a crime. False alarms endanger building occupants and responding firefighters.