- NU MONET Presents at the 2017 COE Research Fair
Dr. Aval and Joshua Berlin presented NU MONET at the 2017 College of Engineering research fair. They discussed the challenges of underwater communications, the difficulty of running experiments, and how the NU MONET will make it possible to run communications experiments at regular intervals with low cost. Dr. Aval presents his work. Joshua Berlin presents […]
- Undergraduate Research Published in Embark Undergraduate Research Journal – November 2016
In November, a paper written by undergraduate research students Andrew Tu, Brian Wilcox, and Mark German was published to the first edition of the Embark Undergraduate Research Journal. The paper, titled “Programming Acoustic Modems for Underwater Networking” describes the evolution of the MATLAB code written to control the SM-975 Acoustic Smart Modems. Read the full […]
- “The Ocean’s Robots May Soon Enjoy High-Speed Internet” – WIRED, November 2016
Prof. Basagni was recently featured in WIRED in an article on underwater networking and the future of ocean robotics. Check out the article here!
- NU MONET Presents at the 2016 CUR REU Symposium in Arlington, VA – October 2016
Prof. Stefano Basagni and undergraduate student Andrew Tu traveled to Arlington, Virginia to present at the 2016 REU Symposium. The symposium, which lasted from Sunday October 23rd to Monday October 24th, drew students and advisors of REU programs around the country to present their work in the atrium of the National Science Foundation. For more […]
- Undergraduate student accepted to speak at NU Talk 2017, October 2017
Second year student Andrew Tu has recently been accepted to speak on “The Future of Underwater Networking” at NU Talk 2017. NU Talk is a student-run TEDx-style event devoted to sharing the scientific ideas, passions, and experiences of Northeastern University undergraduates. Andrew will be one of the first engineering students accepted to speak at the […]
- NU MONET draws a crowd at 2016 COE Research Fair – September 2016
The NU MONET team presented at the 4th annual College of Engineering Undergraduate Research Fair on September 19th, 2016. The project, which had been featured in the college’s expose on the fair, drew significant attention with more than 25 interested undergraduates signing up for follow-up information.
- Project recognized for success of undergraduate research fair on front page of university-wide newsletter, September 2016
The NU MONET project was featured on the front page of the September 19th edition of the “News @ Northeastern” newsletter for the success of its work with undergraduate research students. The article profiled undergraduate research assistant Andrew Tu on his involvement with the NU MONET project. The article was written as a preview of […]
- Andrew Tu’s COE Blog Post, August 2016
In early August, Andrew was asked to write a blog post for the COE about his experience as and undergraduate research student in the NU MONET lab. Read his post here!
- The Sixth Annual New England Workshop on Software-Defined Radio, Raytheon Amphitheater, Northeastern University, June 2016.
Dr. Aval presented a poster of the NU MONET project at the New England Workshop on Software-Defined Radio. The poster presented current achievements and future plans for the project, including plans for transmitting a user-defined waveform from the modems.
- GENI Regional Workshop and Summer Camp 2016, Boston University, May 23-27 2016.
In the week of May 23, PI Basagni, Dr. Aval and undergraduate student Andrew Tu participated to the GENI Regional Workshop and Summer Camp organized at the BU campus in Boston. The aim of this participation was to acquire fundamental methodologies for testbed management and experimental research to be transferred to the design and operation […]
- Scientific Scuba Diving Certification through Participation in Three Seas program, MSC, Nahant, September 2016.
Dr. Aval participated to the Scientific Scuba Diving Certification program together with the graduate students from the Three Seas program at MSC, in Nahant, MA. This program awards AAUS scuba diving certification that is required for scuba diving on site at MSC. Thanks to this certification Dr. Aval will be authorized to dive for deployment […]
- Testing the Smart Buoy at the NU Marine Science Center, Nahant, September 2016
Dr. Aval, Andrew Tu, and Mian Tang tested the final design of the buoy in the ocean across from the MSC. The test served for calibrating the working of the buoy, and especially for establishing the weight system for the buoy stability in the water. The buoy floats properly and its center of gravity is […]