Insurance while Abroad

Health Insurance Australia: SUT students must maintain health insurance as part of their visa requirements. Australia: SUT students are covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) Worldcare, an authorized provider of health coverage for international students in Australia. The cost for this health coverage is included in the program fee. Pre-existing conditions may not be covered by this policy, please visit the OSHC website for further information.

University-Provided Urgent and Emergency Coverage
Northeastern University maintains coverage to respond to costs associated with accidents and emergency/urgent illnesses.  This is not health insurance. For more details on this policy, please visit the international travel insurance website.

Travel Insurance students are encouraged to research whether they would like additional insurance that covers loss of money due to trip interruption or cancellation, as well as loss of baggage and personal effects either while traveling or living in the student residence.

Prescription Medication

Prior to your departure, discuss with your physician any prescription needs while studying abroad.

Packing Prescription Medication
Please note that not all medications may be available in Australia; if possible, make arrangements for bringing an entire semester’s worth of medication. Students should pack prescription medications in carry-on luggage in their original containers with doctor documentation.

Shipping Prescription Medication students should check the requirements for shipping medications with both the courier service as well as with Australian customs.  It is not uncommon for packages to be held up in customs because more information is needed for delivery or additional fees to be applied upon receipt. WorldAware is a useful resource for questions about prescription medication. 

Medical Facilities

Health Services at Swinburne University is a private clinic on campus with general practitioners and nurses who are available during normal operating hours. The Health Services at SUT can provide first aid, medical consultations, health counseling, health promotion, and health information at low or no cost to participants.

There are also many local hospitals and clinics students can go to in case of urgent health care needs. One of the nearby options is Box Hill Hospital.

Safety Resources while Abroad

WorldAware provides all students with local healthcare service provider referrals, travel warnings, and emergency assistance services 24 hours a day. Students can also use WorldAware services to locate a nearby, English-speaking doctor while abroad, either in their host countries or while traveling independently. 

The WorldAware 24/7 international assistance hotline can be reached at the following number specific to Northeastern University members: +1.312.470.3108. 

More information can be found on Northeastern University’s international travel website.

Northeastern Travel Registry
Northeastern University requires all students to enter their travel itinerary and housing accommodations into “My Travel Plans” on the myNortheastern student portal also called the traveler registry. Students should also enter any independent travel during the semester and make sure their contact information remains updated.

More information can be found on Northeastern University’s international travel website.

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)
U.S. citizens can register their travel plans with the U.S. Embassy through the State Department’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program. We strongly encourage students to register, as this is a free service that will allow the U.S. State Department to better assist citizens abroad in the event of an emergency.

Additional Resources
For more resources, visit the U.S. State Department, which provides information on safety for travelers abroad, including tips on handling money, traveling on public transportation, and safety in a hotel.

Medical Disclosure

The Program does not require students to get a physical prior to departure, though it does require students to submit medical information in the General Enrollment Form to alert our staff of any medical conditions or allergies. This form will be included in your enrollment paperwork