Terianne Hall is the instructor for Level’s summer program on our Boston campus.

What are you working on right now?

I am creating videos and content for Level Hybrid! I am currently working on a series of videos to teach students the basics of R.

Why are you passionate about data analytics?

I love finding patterns and solving puzzles. This began when I was very young. In elementary school, I kept a notebook full of interesting patterns that I “discovered” (think: Devi’s The Joy of Numbers). Fast forward through years of crossword puzzles, Sudoku, jigsaw puzzles, brainteasers, control systems (design and implementation), and computational methods (theory and applications). Data analytics is an extension of these passions because getting a new dataset is like getting a new, complex puzzle, where the goal is to find hidden patterns. The best part about data analytics is that it is useful and applied – after we find these patterns, we can derive related insights and conclusions. These insights are then used to solve difficult science and engineering problems or inform business decisions.

What was the most exciting challenge that you solved using data?

I identified the non-dimensional building geometry parameters that have the greatest impact on airflow in a gridded neighborhood using terabytes of computational fluid dynamics data. I quantified the effects of these parameters on the passive vertical exchange of air between the volume of air below building height, and the volume of air above building height. I used these results to create metrics for urban planners to assess how their designs will affect air quality and temperature at pedestrian height. These results are especially relevant in areas of the world undergoing rapid urban development in warm climates.

What traits do you think are most important for students learning analytics?

Curious, Clever, Persistent