As always, the Office of Academic & Student Affairs is available to assist you. Please feel free to email us at email@example.com if you have questions or need additional support.
For up to date information on university operations, please visit the dedicated News@Northeastern COVID-19 website.
For a list of virtual events at NUSL, please visit this website: https://www.northeastern.edu/law/academics/conferences/index.html
- Dean Hackney’s memo on grading for the Spring Semester and Spring Quarter can be found here.
- Class of 2020: Although we cannot be together in person, we can still celebrate YOU! We hope you and your loved ones will join the School of Law for a virtual celebration to honor your accomplishments on Thursday, May 21 at 2:00 pm (Eastern Time). As we get closer to that date, we will send additional information that you can share with your guests.
- Commencement Regalia: Regalia will be provided at the rescheduled ceremony. Students who are unable to attend the rescheduled ceremony may request to have their regalia mailed to them. ASA will also take new orders for tams and honor cords once we have information about the rescheduled ceremony. Students wishing to order a tam now can order them on Amazon or through this vendor.
Resources for Online Learning
- Lessons for Distance Learning
- 6 Strategies for Successful Online Learning
- A Student Guide to Best Practices for Online Classrooms
- A Student’s Guide to “Working from Home”
- How to Adjust to Studying at Home if You Always Worked in the Library
- 8 Strategies for Getting the Most Out of An Online Class
- 7 Things to Do After An Online Class Session Ends
- Engaging and Learning Online
- National Jurist Coronavirus Survival Guide
- How to Plan for Take-Home Exams
- Tips for Utilizing Online Office Hours
- NUSL Office of Computer Services: Brad and Jacob in the Office of Computer Services are available to assist you. Please email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NU ITS: Northeastern University Information Technology Services is available to help you 24/7. You can email them at HELP@northeastern.edu, and chat with them online or on the telephone (617-373-4357).
- NU ITS has a thorough Digital Resilience website dedicated to supporting students during this time.
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra: Here you will find a quick getting started guide for participants. For additional information and training videos, please visit the Blackboard Collaborate Ultra overview article on the NU ITS website.
- Microsoft Teams: Microsoft Teams allows users to video conference, chat, screen-share, and collaborate on documents. To access teams, go to office.com and log in with your NU Microsoft credentials (myNortheastern username followed by @northeastern.edu) and your myNortheastern password. When the list of apps comes up, click on Teams. You can either continue to access it in your web browser, or there’s a button in the lower left (looks like a screen with an arrow) that will allow you to install the Teams application to your computer. For more information on Teams, please visit the Microsoft Teams overview article on the NU ITS website.
- Zoom: Zoom is an alternative to Microsoft Teams and Blackboard Collaborate Ultra for videoconferencing and group collaboration. The web site for accessing your NU Zoom account is http://northeastern.zoom.us. For more information on Zoom, please visit the Zoom overview article on the NU ITS website.
Software & Hardware Access
- Virtual Computer Labs to Access NU Software: There is a link at the bottom of this page for “Virtual Computer Labs.” Click there and follow the instructions to connect. This should be particularly useful for students who need to access the Adobe suite, including Adobe Acrobat (for creating and editing PDF’s). You should use cloud storage (e.g., OneDrive, Google Drive, Dropbox) to move files between your computer and the “virtual” lab computer.
- ITS Hardware Request Form: Students can fill out the ITS Hardware Request Form on this page if they find their their current hardware is not sufficient for accessing NUSL resources and courses.
Financial, Personal & Mental Health Resources
- Educational Expense Resources: If you have unexpected educational expenses due to COVID-19, please contact Linda Schoendorf (email@example.com) to explore options and for assistance.
- Apply to the COVID-19 Emergency Fund: Under the CARES Act, Northeastern University will receive and distribute $5.8 million to Northeastern students who have been adversely impacted by COVID-19. These funds will be distributed to students who have incurred expenses from the disruption of campus operations, including food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, and child care. To expedite the distribution of these emergency funds to our students, the university will begin reviewing emergency grant applications as quickly as possible. The Student Financial Services FAQs answer further questions about student eligibility, eligible expenses, and the application process. If you believe you are eligible for an emergency grant based on Department of Education guidelines, please complete a brief online application to apply for emergency financial assistance.
- If you do not qualify for the COVID-19 Emergency Fund, or if your application is denied, you may apply for a grant from the NUSL Emergency Fund. You should email this completed application to Linda Schoendorf (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- WeCare Fund: The WeCare fund is being used for students who have hardships beyond what the COVID-19 Emergency Fund (CARES fund) can support and are given out on a case by case basis. Students should email email@example.com to apply.
Personal & Mental Health Resources
- Mental Health: All law students have access to virtual mental health resources through Find@Northeastern 1.877.233.9477 (U.S.), 24-hours a day, seven days a week.
- Mental & Physical Health Resources for Blue Cross Blue Shield Members (Students with the NU Student Health Plan): You have access to Blue Cross Blue Shield’s Well Connection, which provides access to live video visits with medical providers and behavioral health specialists.
- During the COVID-19 health crisis, the $10 copay is waived for a Well Connection visit.
- University Health & Counseling Services (UHCS): UHCS will see students virtually. Students can call UHCS at 617-373-2772, option #2 and speak to a Patient Associate.
- Lawyers Concerned for Lawyers: LCL will be operating remotely until at least May 18th.
- Northeastern University Center for Spirituality, Dialogue, & Service: The center has put together a full menu of mindfulness and interfaith learning resources. Yoga for Mental Wellness and Guided Meditation videos can be found on their YouTube site. Their confidential digital prayer box is open, and Spiritual Advisors are available to meet (email firstname.lastname@example.org or reach out to Advisors directly through their website).
- Pandemic Life- Weekly Chats for Lawyers and the Legal Profession: The Mindfulness in Law Society is putting on weekly chats. This series helps us achieve this important goal by giving lawyers, judges, law students and other legal professionals an opportunity to share experiences, ideas, concerns, and stories about life and law during COVID-19. Each half hour session will focus on a pressing topic. They are live at 7:30 p.m. EST on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday in their private Facebook group. More information can be found here.
- Lawyer Well-Being Week: The Boston Bar Association is offering a number of virtual gatherings and roundtables to help the legal community stay connected and well this Spring. Please click here for more information.
Textbook & Academic Resources
- NUSL Law Library: The Law Library staff are available to assist students remotely. Please view this website to schedule an appointment and view their availability.
- The NU Bookstore: The official return date for any textbooks rented from the NU Bookstore will be changed to June 15th. The bookstore would still greatly appreciate students returning their rentals as soon as they are able. If circumstances change regarding travel restrictions and stay-at-home orders, in any case, students will not be charged replacement fees until the first week of fall classes, September 9th.
- Off Campus Housing and Support Services: Off Campus Housing and Support Services at Northeastern provides support and education related to off-campus housing, relocation services, renter’s rights knowledge, and community connection.
- NUSL Hosting: The first link is for students with space to host another student. The second link will have the necessary contact information to reach out to anyone who volunteers their home.
Bar Exam Resources
- Massachusetts Bar Exam LSC Addendum: You must submit the LSC Addendum when asked for the “Law School Certificate.” You can find the form here. Download it, and follow these steps:
- Complete the form as indicated
- Save the form exactly as titled- LSC Addendum
- Save in PDF format
- Upload in the portal where asked for a law school certificate
- NCBE updates and jurisdiction announcements regarding the July 2020 bar exam can be viewed here.
- The Massachusetts Law School Deans’ Letter to SJC Chief Justice Gants can be viewed here.
- The letter to the NY Court of Appeals signed by the deans of 21 law schools not located in New York, including NUSL, can be viewed here.
- For a list of jurisdictions offering courtesy seating click here. Be sure to check all websites for updates or changes due to increases in applications.