Congratulations to the Class of 2021!
Law School Commencement
- The 2021 School of Law Commencement ceremony will be held at Northeastern University’s Parsons Field, located at 178 Kent St, Brookline, MA 02446.
- The ceremony will take place at 1:00 pm on Friday, May 14, 2021 and is expected to run approximately two hours.
- Graduates should arrive no later than 12:45 pm. Doors open at noon.
- You must RSVP to attend the law school ceremony at Parsons Field.
- Each student will be allowed 2 guests at the ceremony. The allotted guest count is based on state and city guidelines.
- Closer to the ceremony, you will receive instructions on how to access your student ticket and your (2) guest tickets. Admission to the ceremony is by valid ticket only. Tickets are non-transferrable.
CEREMONY INFORMATION AND SEATING
- Graduates and guests can enter at any of the 3 entrances. Signage and staff will direct graduates and guests to their seats.
- Your ceremony will be held rain or shine. In case of rain, we will provide ponchos to all graduates and guests and, in kindness to those around you, we recommend the use of ponchos versus umbrellas. If there are extreme weather conditions, we will communicate any changes.
- All attendees will be seated individually and 6 feet socially distanced. Graduates will be seated in one area and guests will be seated in a separate area. Because of space and seating restrictions, we cannot guarantee that guests arriving together will be seated together.
- Seating is general admission.
- Graduates who require ADA accommodations should contact the Commencement Office
- Due to health and safety guidelines and social distancing challenges, graduates will not process or cross the stage, and graduates will self-hood.
PHOTO FOR CEREMONY SLIDE
- All graduates’ names will be read, and an individual recognition slide will be displayed for each graduate.
- On April 7, you should have received an email from GradImages inviting you to upload a photo for your individual recognition slide. The deadline to submit your photo was April 30.
HEALTH AND SAFETY GUIDELINES
- A health survey may be required prior to entry on the day of your ceremony. More information will be communicated closer to the ceremony.
- Masks are mandatory for all graduates and guests.
- All attendees will be subject to temperature checks upon entrance to the ceremony.
- We strongly recommend that anyone who is considered to be “high-risk” under CDC guidelines, refrain from attending the in-person ceremony. Click here to learn more about the CDC’s guidelines.
- Please review the Massachusetts COVID-19 travel advisory for all visitors and returning residents entering Massachusetts.
PROHIBITED ITEMS & SECURITY
- A comprehensive list of prohibited items can be found here.
- With the exception of medical items and diaper bags, bags will not be allowed.
- All attendees entering Parsons Field will be subject to screening through the use of metal detectors.
CAP AND GOWN
- If you have not yet ordered your cap and gown, we recommend you do so by the end of the day on April 16. ORDER HERE. Caps and gowns will not be available the day of the ceremony.
- Graduates should arrive at the ceremony in their cap and gown. Do not wear your hood to the ceremony, but carry it with you for the hooding portion of the ceremony. (Consider practicing self-hooding at home prior to the ceremony!)
- A livestream of the ceremony will be available for all who are unable to attend here. Additionally, two to three days after the ceremony a recording will be available here.
GETTING TO THE CEREMONY & PARKING
- There is no parking on site at Parsons Field. Attendees should plan to arrive by public transportation, car/cab service, or park in a nearby garage.
- For guests arriving by Uber/Lyft, the drop off location is 11 Harrison St.
- Parsons Field is located near MBTA Green Lines D (Brookline Village stop – 9 min walk), E (Riverway stop – 13 min walk), and C (Saint Paul St. stop – 13 min walk), and it is within walking distance from several MBTA bus transportation stops. For more information, visit the MBTA website.
- On-campus parking can be purchased on this website. Parking passes can be purchased for the Columbus Garage, Renaissance Garage, and Gainsborough Garage. Additional details are posted on our commencement website. Northeastern’s campus is approximately 1.5 miles from Parsons Field.
- More information about parking in the surrounding area is available on our commencement website and the Brookline parking website. Some parking options in the area include:
- Webster Street Parking, Webster St, Brookline, MA 02446 (0.7 miles, 14-15 minute walk) $1.25/hour Max stay 3 hours
- 40 Centre St Parking, 34 Centre St, Brookline, MA 02446 (0.9 miles, 18-20 minute walk) $2/hour Max stay 4 hours
- Babcock Street Parking Lot 2, Babcock Street Parking Lot, Brookline, MA 02446 (1.0 mile, 20 minute walk) $1.25/hour Max stay 3 hours
- Centre Street West Parking Lot, Brookline, MA 02446 (0.9 miles, 19 minute walk)
- Overnight Parking Lot 6 – Kent / Webster Place, Brookline, MA 02445 (0.4 miles, 10 minute walk)
- Please note, Parsons Field is a turf field and surrounding areas contain gravel and uneven surfaces. Sensible footwear is highly recommended. Please plan accordingly.
- Diplomas will be mailed to all eligible graduates 4-6 weeks after their conferral date.
Additional details will be sent to students closer to the ceremony.
The deadline to declare a concentration was October 1st of your 3L year. Once you have finished the requirements for your concentration, certify that you have done so by the end of the second week of your final quarter.
Apply to Graduate
The Application to Graduate tells the Registrar that you are graduating and if you are planning to attend the graduation ceremony or not.
The Application to Graduate opens in the Fall and closes in the Winter Quarter. The deadline to apply to graduate is the first day of the Spring Quarter. If you have missed this deadline, please contact Bill Greene (email@example.com) immediately.
Co-op Exit Survey
Help the Co-op and Career Development Office learn your post-graduate plans.
This is found on Symplicity, under the Profiles Section. It’s called “Graduate Employment Survey,” and you should fill it out one week before commencement.
Bar Authorization & Certification
Any graduate planning to take the bar must fill out this form, which authorizes the release of information to state bars and certifies that disclosures have been submitted to NUSL. Please note that this form does not prompt ASA to send any bar exam-related document on your behalf; you will need to provide Kendra Millay (firstname.lastname@example.org) your specific bar exam-related form (e.g., Dean’s Certificate, Law School Certificate, etc.) in order for it to be processed.
While there is no formal deadline, please plan ahead. It can take up to one week to complete a bar certification, once we receive it. For more information, please check click here.
Note: All bar certifications are processed by ASA. However, if the jurisdiction which you are sitting for wants an official transcript, you should request it from here.
Transcripts from Dual-Degree or Transfer Students
If you are a transfer or dual‐degree student, please submit your official transcripts as soon as possible, before the first week of classes in your final quarter.
You can have your former university mail official transcripts here:
NU School of Law,
Attn: ASA, 1 CG
416 Huntington Ave
Boston, MA 02115