How do I apply for financial aid?

All students interested in being considered for financial aid must fill out the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), available at Northeastern's federal institution code is 002199.

Is there a deadline to apply for aid?

NUSL’s priority financial aid filing deadline is February 15. Students can apply for aid after the priority deadline, but because we have limited need-based funding it is best to apply before the deadline.

How do I apply for my refund?

All financial aid funds flow through the student's tuition account here at the University. Once all charges for the term have been satisfied, any excess credit from financial aid funds can be released to the student by way of a cash refund request. Students may request these excess funds as well as check their account balance/credits through the myNortheastern portal. To complete the refund request form, it can be found under the self-service tab, “Student Refund Request”. Please note that you must have a valid credit in your account in order to request a cash refund request. Funds cannot be released to a student any earlier than the first day of the semester. As such, it is important that each student adequately prepare to meet their living expenses through at least the first week of each term.

How do I get my funds?

Students who complete the Direct Deposit form prior to completing the student refund request will have their funds directly deposited into their bank account and it typically takes 5 business days for the funds to deposit. If a student has not completed the direct deposit form, the check will be mailed directly to the student.

How do I put my loans into deferment once I am in law school?

For students needing verification of enrollment, please visit the Office of the University Registrar website.

My scholarship requires I remain in good academic standing. What does this mean?

As long as a student is enrolled and has not been dismissed for academic or disciplinary reasons, they are in good standing. However, no student may receive institutional aid (merit or need-based) for more than six academic terms. Should a student require additional academic semesters or terms beyond the standard six terms necessary to complete the JD degree, institutional aid will not be available.

What is the College Cost Reduction and Access Act?

The College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007 established a new public service loan forgiveness program. This program discharges any remaining debt after 10 years of full-time employment in public service. The borrower must have made 120 payments as part of the Direct Loan program in order to obtain this benefit. Only payments made on or after October 1, 2007, count toward the required 120 monthly payments. (Borrowers will need to consolidate into Direct Lending in order to qualify for this loan forgiveness program.)

Can I use my NUSL merit and need based aid while I am enrolled in a Dual Degree Program?

If you are enrolled in a Dual Degree program through another degree program at another university you will need to apply for financial aid through that school. Your financial aid, merit, need based or loan funds, cannot be used while you are attending another university. During your time at the other institution, you will pay them the tuition and you will be eligible to receive financial aid from them. Your scholarship only applies to tuition you pay to the law school.

If you are enrolled in a Dual Degree program through another program at Northeastern University, you will receive financial aid from the Graduate Financial Aid Office. Your law school scholarships only apply to the academic quarters that you are enrolled at NUSL.

NUSL Scholarship Retention Data

Scholarship Retention Data