In addition to the routine updates for various software applications, you will be able to take advantage of expanded access to applications via a new virtual application or as cloud versions. As of Fall 2017, the standard supported operating systems are Windows 10 and Mac OS X Sierra with Microsoft Office 16.
Appcloud, a hybrid-cloud-based virtual desktop/application service similar to RemoteApp, will be available during Fall term. Appcloud provides faculty, staff and students with anytime, anywhere access to Windows applications on any device. Off-campus access requires the VPN. (See the article on Multi-Factor Authentication for details concerning the use of the VPN). You will be able to access Appcloud from myNEU.
Files created with Appcloud software can be saved to your local computer, shared storage, OneDrive, or any other cloud-storage platform, and printed using any printer — local, network, or the Pharos Printing Plan. Appcloud will have the most recent versions of the applications. The older virtual application, RemoteApp, has software versions current as of September 2017 but it will not be updated as new versions become available. RemoteApp will be phased out by the end of the 2017 calendar year. See Software Access Methods for more information on Appcloud, including directions for access and use.
Adobe Creative Cloud
Beginning this fall, all Adobe Creative Cloud products and services, including a cloud-based file storage option, will be available to all Northeastern faculty, staff and students on both university-owned and personal Mac or Windows computers directly from the Adobe portal. For additional information see the Fall newsletter article.
aspenONE – upgrade
aspenONE is a unified web and mobile environment for searching, sharing, viewing, interacting, and collaborating using the content produced by Aspen’s engineering, manufacturing, and supply chain products.
- Windows – Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed computers, InfoCommons and Digital Media Center computers
- Mac – not available
ArcGIS Desktop – upgrade
This geographic information systems (GIS) software is for designing and managing solutions through the application of geographic knowledge. Software includes tools for gathering, editing, analyzing and modeling data.
- Windows – Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed computers, ITS-managed computer labs, classrooms, and for local installation on Northeastern-managed and university-owned machines by submitting a ServiceNow request to the ITS Service Desk.
- Mac – not available
(New access method for unmanaged computers)
AutoCAD is a 3D CAD design, drafting, modeling, architectural drawing, and engineering software program used in a variety of fields.
- Northeastern-managed computers: All ITS-managed lab and Faculty/Staff Northeastern-managed Windows computers can access it via All Programs > Design and CAD > AutoCAD. Faculty/staff, if you do not see it under All Programs, see How to: Determine if your operating system is 32-bit or 64-bit.
- Unmanaged Northeastern computers and Faculty and Student personal computers: Free directly from the vendor for either Windows or Mac. Go to the Autodesk Education Community Download Center. (Note: This software is for academic purposes only. Administrative use requires a different type of license.)
NOTE: Visit the Autodesk Education Community to learn more about Free Software, Training and the Design Showcase. You will need to register (click on the “Join the community today” link) with your university issued email (northeastern.edu or husky.neu.edu) address.
ChemDraw – new cloud version
Version: Windows ChemBio16/Chem Draw 2015, Mac 15.1 and 16
ChemOffice Professional allows students, faculty and researchers to visualize and analyze their structures and data graphically, and identify trends and correlations within subsets of data.
- Cloud (Unmanaged Northeastern computers, student/faculty/staff personal computers) — All faculty, staff and students using unmanaged Northeastern computers or personal computers now have access to a ChemDraw Cloud subscription through their account on the vendor’s website. Go to the Knowledge Base for access instructions (you may need to sign in with your myNEU username and password).
- Windows – Faculty/staff Northeastern-managed computers, ITS labs
- Mac – Faculty/staff Northeastern-managed computers in Self-Service, ITS labs
Civil 3D – new title for Northeastern-managed Windows computers
Version 2016 and 2017
Civil 3D software is a civil engineering design and documentation solution that supports Building Information Modeling workflows. Using Civil 3D, you can better understand project performance, maintain more consistent data and processes, and respond faster to change.
- Windows – Faculty/staff Northeastern-managed computers
- Mac – Not available
IBM SPSS – Now available for administrative use
IBM SPSS Statistics is a comprehensive set of data and predictive analytics tools. In addition to statistical analysis, data management and data documentation are features of the base software.
- Windows – Faculty/staff Northeastern-managed computers, Software Downloads
- Mac – Faculty/staff Northeastern-managed computers in Self-Service, Software Downloads
(available to students directly from vendor)
LabVIEW is a highly productive development environment for creating custom applications that interact with real-world data or signals in fields such as science and engineering. It is available to faculty, staff and now students by going directly to the vendor. To obtain the license number you need, go to the ITS Knowledge Base.
- Windows, Mac, Linux – for local installation on Northeastern managed and unmanaged university-owned computers that will be provided directly by the ITS Service Desk. Submit a Locally Installed Software request through the ServiceNow portal (sign-in may be required)
MATLAB – added access to all Toolboxes
MATLAB is a high-level language and interactive environment that enables you to solve many numerical problems. You can also use MATLAB to analyze and visualize data using automation capabilities to avoid the manual repetition. As of Fall 2017, you have access to the entire library of prebuilt toolboxes. These toolboxes let you get started right away with algorithms essential to your domain. For instructions on how to access Matlab, visit the ITS website.
- Windows – Faculty/staff Northeastern-managed computers, ITS-managed computer labs
- Mac – Faculty/staff Northeastern-managed computers, ITS-managed computer labs
Additional titles will become available as they are tested and deployed. Check the Available Software charts for Faculty/Staff Standard Configuration or Labs, Classrooms and Individual Access to find the title you wish to use.
Need Help or to Get a Re-Image?
If you are a faculty or staff member on a managed computer and are not seeing the latest software updates in Start or Software Center on Windows, or in Applications of Self Service on Mac, you may want to consider having your computer re-imaged.
We are more than happy to assist getting you on board with the newest versions available.