As part of our effort to provide an even better user experience to all faculty and staff, Northeastern ITS will be moving the University’s ERP (Enterprise Resource Program) to the latest version, Ellucian Banner 9, in December 2017.
We completed the first phase of the Banner 9 upgrade in August, implementing a new support infrastructure, adding additional software to expedite future Banner upgrades, and applying over 130 process fixes across all services.
We have already begun work on the second phase of the upgrade, which will impact all Banner services, including: Advancement, Finance, General, Human Resources, Operational Data Store and Student Services.
What’s New in Banner 9?
Banner 9 provides Northeastern the opportunity to modernize our ERP environment. This new release delivers a number of important enhancements, including a modern user interface, enhanced navigation and process management tools, and new functionality across the Student, HR and Finance functions. The upgraded service will also give you greater flexibility to run Banner on any browser and across multiple platforms, including tablets.
How Will This Impact Me?
INB & Self-Service Applications
As of now, most members of the Northeastern community are still using Banner INB (Internet Native Banner) and Self-Service applications, but that will change early in 2018.
During the fall, we will conduct the second phase of our Banner 9 upgrade, which will focus on transitioning users from INB to the new Banner Administrative Forms. This technology will eliminate the dependency on Internet Explorer as a web browser. So, you will be able to use all browsers to access your Banner accounts.
Banner 9 HTML5 Technology
With Banner 9 HTML5 technology, Banner users will experience a host of new upgrades, including:
- Compatibility with multiple web browsers, including Chrome, Firefox, Safari and MS Edge
- A consistent look and feel across Banner 9 for HTML5 users
- Enhanced navigation for a seamless experience
- A responsive design with a mobile-first perspective
New in Self-Service
Some new Banner Self-Service applications will also be included in the Banner 9 upgrade. These new applications will include:
- Student Registration – This has been updated with intuitive registration tools and a mobile-friendly design to make it easier for students, advisors, and administrators to use.
- Employee Profile – An entry point for you to access your personal, employment, and job-related information.
- Direct Deposit – Mobile ready with improved usability to streamline your entry of direct-deposit information.
- Faculty Grade Entry – It provides faculty members mobile capability for entering grades. Grades can also be imported directly from spreadsheets.
- Purchase Requisition – Enables faster procurement of products and services with an updated, intuitive user experience and dashboard that helps manage requisition processing within Banner Finance.
We will continue to keep you informed of our progress through the ITS newsletter as well as email communications and open discussions with your team. We welcome your involvement and feedback as a part of improving your user experience with all Banner systems.
Have Questions or Need Help?
If you have questions or feedback, please feel free to contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or email Help@northeastern.edu.