SharePoint, as part of the Office 365 suite of applications, is a web-based collaborative workspace tool that allows faculty and staff to share documents and files, post announcements, manage team calendars, create forms and background workflow, organize information, and manage business processes in a secure environment.
SharePoint provides a wide range of functionality to promote collaboration and information sharing with personalization and customization capabilities. The tool provides integration with Microsoft Office for team access to documents, tasks and projects.
The specific functionality available and supported includes:
- Shared Space – Document management
- Security – Ability to set permission levels per group or item
- Increased Collaboration – Team calendars, announcements, discussion boards
- Access & Mobility – Collaboration with participants on and off campus
- Communication & Productivity Tools – Create email distribution lists, generate alerts
- Advanced Search Capabilities – Results limited by permissions
- Integration with Office 365* – A more seamless user experience
- Document Management – Form creation, document versioning and check-out
- Automation – Ability to automate business processes with K2
- Workflow Support – Ability to automate business processes
*Note: Macs without the Northeastern image may not include some integration features.
Faculty, staff and sponsored employees with NUnet privileges have access to SharePoint and may access sites by going to https://northeastern.sharepoint.com and using your Office 365 username (your myNEU email@example.com) and password (your myNEU password) credentials. You must request access to specific sites from the department, office or committee’s site administrator.
- Requesting a SharePoint site – Faculty or staff can submit a SharePoint Site Creation request through the ServiceNow portal (sign-in may be required).
- Signing in to SharePoint – SharePoint is a browser-based application, so it can be used without installing software on your computer. Go to https://northeastern.sharepoint.com and use your Office 365 username and password credentials.
- Locating a SharePoint Site – Either access the site(s) directly by typing the site address into the address bar of your web browser, or navigate to the Northeastern University SharePoint Homepage, where you will need to log in with your Office 365 username and password credentials. Typically, the site owner will provide you with a link to the site when you are granted access. You may need to log into SharePoint depending on your location and network connectivity.
SharePoint is available except when maintenance is being performed. Notification of maintenance downtime will be posted on myNEU.
- How To: Upload a document in SharePoint on Office 365
- How To: Check out a document in SharePoint on Office 365
- How To: Check in a document in SharePoint on Office 365
- How To: Create and use document libraries
- How to: Upload/Move multiple files in SharePoint