Northeastern is taking greater steps to fully secure all of our faculty, staff and students when accessing university accounts online.
Starting on October 2, 2017, Northeastern will implement a new security authentication service called Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA), through our partner, Duo, for all users on the VPN (Virtual Private Network). This change will prompt you to authenticate your account by a separate method after every log in, either through a text message, phone call or mobile application prompt, in order to gain access.
This additional identification step will significantly reduce the impact of compromised accounts, as access will require a unique device and/or PIN.
How Do I Get MFA?
MFA will be required for all VPN access, starting on October, 2, 2017. We recommend that all VPN users register their accounts prior to that date.
To register your device with MFA follow these easy steps:
- Click Here.
- Log in to your Northeastern account with your University credentials
- Select “Enable” on the registration page
- Select the “Start Setup” button
- Choose your device type (mobile phones are recommended)
- Enter your phone number OR download the app to your device
- If you choose to download the app, continue onto the next step
- Select your phone type (g. iPhone, Android, Windows, etc.)
- Install Duo Mobile from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store
- Open the Duo app & Scan the barcode listed
Next Steps for MFA
MFA will be implemented into other university services, including Banner INB and server logins throughout the Fall.
Eventually, MFA will be offered to all university faculty, staff and students for a host of other services, including the new myNortheastern portal and University email. The schedule for service implementation will be prioritized based on risk and potential impact.
More information about MFA and how to use it will be made available as the security feature is implemented into specific university services.
Have Questions or Need Help?
Contact the ITS Service Desk at email@example.com or 617.373.4357 (xHELP).