To ensure secure access to the VPN, you must authenticate your identity through a separate method called multi-factor authentication.
First, you must install the GlobalProtect VPN client on an Northeastern-managed computer, or an unmanaged or personal computer and enroll in the security authentication tool, DUO which will send you a notification you will need to approve before you can access the VPN.
ITS recommends that you connect to the GlobalProtect VPN from your menu bar. GlobalProtect is represented by a globe icon.
- When connected, the globe will have a shield.
- When disconnected, the shield will be replaced with a red X.
The first time you run the GlobalProtect client, you will be prompted to fill out the screen with the following information:
- Username: NUnet username (Your NUnet username is the one you enter when you log on to a network computer.)
- NOTE: If your NUnet username and password is not the same as those you use to access myNEU, you can sync your username and password by going to myNEU, clicking on myProfile and following the directions for changing your password. Once you have done this, your NUnet and myNEU usernames and passwords will be the same.
- Password: NUnet/myNEU password
- Portal: vpn.northeastern.edu (do not include https://)
After you select apply, you will receive a push notification on your registered mobile device. Once you approve the notification the login process will complete.
The service will discover the network and the globe in the top menu bar will change from the red X to a shield. You are now connected to the VPN.
Once the VPN is connected, you will get a welcome window. You can click “Do not display this page again” in the bottom right corner to keep from seeing this every time you connect, and then close the window. If you ever need the welcome screen again, you can find it under globe icon, selecting Welcome Page from the drop down menu.
If you are unable to connect and have not received a notification, confirm your device or telephone numbers are properly registered by returning to the original registration page.
If you are unable to connect contact the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To disconnect, you can either shut down your computer, or manually rclick on the icon in the menu bar and select Disconnect.