TV and HuskyCable – FAQ

Toubleshooting Tips

How do I connect my TV to HuskyCable?
HuskyCable is available to all students in university-owned residence halls. To receive service, connect one end of a coaxial cable to the cable port on the wall in your residence room hall, and connect the other end to the coaxial input on your television set. Then run a channel scan from the menu of your television.

Why am I not receiving all the channels listed in the HuskyCable lineup?
It is necessary to perform a channel scan in order to connect to the entire channel lineup. Typically, a channel scan can be activated by using the menu button on your remote. You also need to be sure that your TV is programmed to receive cable signals and not off-air signals. Follow your TV’s manual to change these settings. Please note that the first time a TiVo is to be used on ResNet it must be registered. To do so, you may use the photo upload feature on the ResNet registration page ( If you are unable to find and upload the photo of your TiVo’s MAC address, it can be brought to ResNet to be registered. Please consult your TV manual if you are unsure.

Where can I get a coaxial cable?
Coaxial cables can be found in electronics and computer stores. They are also available at the Northeastern Bookstore in the Curry Student Center.

How do I connect a DVD player?
Most new televisions will have either component (red, green, blue + audio), composite (yellow + audio), or HDMI connections available.

  • Component: Connect the DVD player with the corresponding colors from the back of the DVD/ player to the TV. Note the input number.
  • Composite: Check the back of the DVD player for ‘line out.’ Connect the matching colored cables from the DVD player ‘line out’ to the TV. Note the input number.
  • HDMI: Connect the HDMI cable from the HDMI connection on the back of the DVD player to the corresponding connection on the back of the TV. Note the input number. In each case, after completing the connections, switch the TV to the input number you used to connect the DVD player.

Is HuskyCable compatible with TiVo?
Currently, TiVo service is not officially supported by Northeastern. You will see a “HuskyCable” option under service providers during TiVo setup, but this list is not maintained by the university, so channel lineup changes will not automatically be made to your TiVo. Please note that TiVo devices can be registered on ResNet by utilizing the registration process for wireless devices.

How do I connect my computer to HuskyCable?
HuskyCable television signals can be viewed on your computer screen by using a PC TV card. The PC TV card in your computer must have an input connection for cable TV. The performance and quality varies according to the equipment used.

Is HuskyCable service available to students in leased housing or off-campus?
Only university-owned buildings have access to HuskyCable. Students living in residences that are in Northeastern-leased properties are eligible for a credit from Residential Life.

Why am I only getting channels up to Channel 13?
Most television sets have a setting to enable reception of either off-air antenna or Cable. On the campus television system, your television must be set to “Cable” (or “CATV”, “CATV – IRC”). Most televisions come with a default setting of “Off-Air” (or “Antenna”). You must change this default setting to enable reception of all cable channels. This setting can be changed either by moving a switch or by following menu prompts for set-up. Check your TV’s manual to find out how to change these settings.

I don’t have a TV set; I watch cable TV through a projector. Can I access HuskyCable?
You can still use your projector to view HuskyCable but you will require a device that has a tuner. Call the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or visit ResNet in Speare Commons for help.

There are certain channels that “freeze.” What should I do?
Call the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or visit ResNet in Speare Commons. Please identify the specific channels that freeze when you contact us.

I’ve lost reception on one or more channels. What should I do?
Call the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or visit ResNet in Speare Commons for help. Please identify the specific channels that are not working when you contact us.

There is no Cable TV outlet in my room. How do I get one?
Call the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or visit ResNet in Speare Commons for help. Please note that HuskyCable jacks will not be located in kitchens or bathrooms.

I’m not sure if I have a television capable of receiving HDTV, and I’m not seeing the HDTV channels. What should I do?
To view the High Definition channels, you must have a television with a high definition tuner built in. If you are not sure if you have a TV that can receive HD signals, check your television’s manual or website. Call the ITS Service Desk at 617.373.4357 (xHELP) or visit ResNet in Speare Commons for help.

I have a High Definition television. How do I see the HD channels?
High Definition channels are available on HuskyCable and can be viewed using appropriately equipped televisions with HDTV tuners. Different models of HD-Ready televisions have different tuners. The process of seeing the HD channels is similar to standard cable channels; you must program your television and tell it how to find them. The equipment you need will depend on your television. Some HD-Ready TVs only have one coax-in port; in this case you will only need a single coax cable to plug directly into the wall jack. Other TVs have two coax-in ports, one for cable and the other for antenna. In this case, you will need a splitter and 3 coaxial cables (one from the wall jack to the splitter, and one each from the splitter to the Cable and Antenna coax-in ports). Once you are set up, switch your TV input to the Antenna feed and set it to auto-program the channels. After doing this, you will be able to view standard HuskyCable channels on the cable input and HD channels on the antenna input.

NOTE: Equipment rated as “HD-Capable” will require the use of an external HD Tuner in order to receive HD channels.

How will I access the High Definition (HD) channels on my TV?
Broadcast networks set up a standard channel (7) and offer HD content on subchannels (7.1, 7.2). You can access the HD channels on these subchannels, after proper HD setup.

Troubleshooting tips

Is the jumper cable connected from the cable port to the VHF, VHF IN, or CATV connection on your TV (or VCR)?
The campus system cannot be connected to the UHF terminals on your equipment.

Is your TV set to “CATV” on the set-up menu or by external switch?
If you can only get Ch 2-13 clearly, then you have not selected the proper input on the set-up menu or external switch. Set the switch to CATV.

Did you try your TV and equipment on a different port that you know works?
If your TV does not work on a known working port, the problem is probably with your set. If your equipment works fine on another port, the other port may have to be repaired. Call 617.373.4357 (xHELP) for assistance.

Did you try a TV set on your port?
If you tried your set on a working port and it works fine, try someone else’s set on your port. If that set works on your port, then most likely the problem is with the cables or other connections.

Updated November 2015