College of Professional Studies

The College of Professional Studies has a several important variances in requirements relating to Part of Term, online courses, and I Am Here registration each Quarter. Please review the following carefully. Always remember, the ISSI can provide you with one-on-one guidance and assistance on the vast array of federal requirements and procedures related to immigration and maintaining your legal status throughout your studies. If you need a helping hand or advice on any of the following – make an appointment to meet with an ISSI counselor. For urgent issues, staff is available daily on a walk-in basis as well.

Program Extension

For various reasons, such as having taken a leave of absence or having a change in a research subject, you may not be able to complete your degree program before the End Date on your I-20. (This date is listed in Section 5 on the first page of your I-20 if you are on an F-1 visa, or in Section 3 of the first page of your DS-2019 if you are on a J-1 visa.) If you are unable to complete your degree on time, then you must petition to have your stay at Northeastern University extended.

The process is to fill out ISSI Form 129: Certification of Program Extension for International Students, submit it to your academic advisor, and then turn it in to the ISSI for review.

Leave of Absence

If you need to take time off from the University for non-medical reasons, such as being required to return home for military service, you may fill out and submit a request to the ISSI for a Non-Medical Leave of Absence. Please note that if you take a non-medical leave, or if you permanently and voluntarily withdraw from the University, you will lose your F-1 visa status and be required to leave the United States within 15 days.

Becoming a Permanent Resident

If you become a Permanent Resident of the United States (also known as a Green Card holder) you will need to notify the ISSI so that we may update your status with SEVIS and also with other offices on the campus. Please bring your Permanent Residency Card to our office so that we may update you files.

Reduced Course Load

If you are experiencing academic difficulties (as detailed on the Reduced Course Load Form), or a medical condition that limits your ability to study full-time, you may petition to take less than a full course load, and still remain in status with your student visa. You will need to fill out the Recommendation for Reduced Course Load form, have it signed by your academic advisor, and then submit it to the ISSI for review.

Co-op/Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Northeastern University is recognized around the world for its robust co-op program. Co-op allows students to work and gain vital experience in a field related to their program of study.

Student on an F-1 visa may engage in Curricular Practical Training (CPT), or co-op, after receiving approval from a co-op faculty member or an academic advisor/SEVIS contact (for graduate level required internships), and after receiving legal authorization from the ISSI.

You begin the process of applying for CPT by filling out the CPT Request Form.

Transfer Out

If you have decided to leave Northeastern University for another institution in the United States at which you will still be using your F-1 visa, you need to notify the ISSI so that we may transfer your record to your new school. To request a transfer of your SEVIS record to another college, please fill out and submit to the ISSI a Transfer Out Notification Form for F-1 Students.

Part of Term

In the College of Professional Studies, each 12-week Quarter is made up of Parts of Term. Some courses last the entire 12 weeks of a Quarter, while others run for either the first 6 weeks or the last 6 weeks. As an F-1 visa student you must remain registered at all times during a Quarter to remain in compliance. You are not allowed to take courses during only one half of an academic Quarter.

On-Campus, Online, and Hybrid Courses

In every academic year you must be registered at all times in at least one class that meets on campus at Northeastern University. This might mean taking a full length course that meets on-campus, or taking two successive "part of term" courses that meet on-campus. You may not take classes on-campus for just the first six weeks of a 12-week Quarter and then take only online courses during the last 6 weeks. However, this does not mean that you cannot take online courses at all, as you are permitted to take one each term, so long as it is accompanied by on-ground classwork.

I Am Here

Beginning in the Summer 2011 Quarter, all College of Professional Studies students will be required to participate in online I Am Here to verify with the University that you are indeed on campus. Failure to participate in I Am Here will result in you being dropped from all courses for which you are registered, and will leave you out of compliance.

At the start of each Quarter, and each Part of Term (e.g. if you are taking a class that meets for the last six weeks of the Quarter), you will have a link on the Self-Service tab of your myNEU account entitled I Am Here. Click on this tab and follow the instructions to confirm that you are indeed on campus and attending courses. You will also receive reminder messages from the College about this process.

Have a question that is not included in this list? Don’t worry. The ISSI is ready and able to help. Call for an appointment to see a counselor (617-373-2310), or if it is urgent—stop by 405 Ell Hall.