FAQs for Prospective Mentees

What is the expected commitment?

Mentoring relationships work best when the communication is consistent.  Although the University Honors Program does not set a strict requirement for the number and length of meeting times, we do recommend that participants communicate as often as necessary to gain the most from the experience.  Typically, contact at least once or twice a month is ideal.

Because Mentors are volunteering their time and talents to promote your professional and personal development, we ask that you pledge full commitment to upholding your responsibilities to your Mentor, and to the Alumni Mentoring Network as a whole.  Specifically, we expect you, as a Mentee, to be meticulous in maintaining contact with your Alumni Mentor, to be proactive in establishing and maintaining contact with them, and to follow through on all agreed-upon meetings and activities.

I am currently away from Boston on co-op.  May I still be connected to a Mentor?

Meetings can occur in person, on the telephone, or via the internet using Skype or other teleconferencing tool. You may want to consider a Mentor that lives or has lived and worked in your future coop or study abroad location!

What are some general expectations with respect to etiquette in mentoring relationships?

• Honors Students and Alumni Mentors are expected to engage with one another in a dignified, respectful and professional manner at all times.
  • Mentors and Mentees are encouraged to meet in public places, such as offices, coffee shops or restaurants, rather than in a private setting such as a home or apartment.
  • Students are expected to keep ALL commitments made to their Mentors, including the times scheduled for meetings and phone calls. Students realize that their Mentors are busy professionals and so any requests to change scheduled meeting times must occur with ample notice.

What kind of relationship should I aim to develop with my Mentor?

• The relationship between Students and Mentors should be focused on matters that directly pertain to the professional development of mentees. The University Honors Program strongly discourages the formation of personal relationships among Mentors and Mentees that exceed the boundaries of professional relationships.
  • While Mentors may provide their Mentees with advice about how to achieve their professional objectives, Mentors are not expected to find employment opportunities for Mentees.
  • Students should be prepared to cover their own costs when meeting with Mentors, such as for refreshments, meals and transportation. Mentors are not responsible for providing any material or financial benefits to their Mentees.
  • Although Mentors and students may exchange personal information with one another as their relationship develops, we expect that both parties will treat such information respectfully and confidentially.

What kind of support may I expect from the University Honors Program?

Throughout the course of year, the University Honors Program will provide all participants with educational materials (e.g. Guides, articles, academic essays, etc.), investing in the training and development of mentors and mentees alike. On occasion, the University Honors Program will coordinate events bringing together mentors and mentees. The University Honors Program will also develop an online community for all participants to interact and exchange ideas.

The University Honors Program will always be available to answer questions and to provide support. We will check in with all participants at least once a month to facilitate progress in the mentoring relationships.

Whom should I contact if I’m interested in requesting a Mentor?

Please direct any communications to Jaclyn Ruybalid Krueger, Northeastern University Honors Program: honorsalumni@northeastern.edu or 617-373-7576.