The Northeastern University Honors Program Alumni Mentoring Network connects upper class Honors students with Honors Program alumni to mutually advance students’ and mentors’ professional and personal effectiveness through supportive intergenerational relationships and networking.
At Northeastern, we believe that learning happens everywhere, anywhere, and with anyone. As we roll out our exciting, “reimagined” University Honors Program initiatives, we take this belief to heart as we invite Honors alumni to play a vital role in promoting the learning that extends beyond classroom walls.
Through the fostering of supportive intergenerational relationships that feature student mentorship, we envision the creation of rich, vibrant networks that connect Honors students, alums, and Honors Program staff who all learn from one another.
Through these networked communities, the University Honors Program will achieve its mission of advancing student development through personalized, integrated and experiential learning.
Role of Honors Student Mentees
As mentees, Honors students seek guidance and personal attention from a mentor who is invested in their success. Students gain experience in cultivating strong professional relationships as they grow intellectually, professionally and personally.
Role of Honors Alumni Mentors
Honors Alumni Mentors provide guidance and support to Honors students as they chart their unique learning journeys and prepare for their bright futures. Mentors may elect to work with a single student, or a small group of students, who share a disciplinary or professional interest. Alternately, Mentors may elect to serve as a “consultant” to groups of students with a common interest.
Role of the University Honors Program
- University Honors Program professionals will provide ongoing support to mentors and mentees to ensure that the relationships are mutually beneficial.
- The University Honors Program will provide educational resources on effective mentoring and will host a variety of networking events in which participants may share ideas and experiences, and form rewarding relationships with other mentors and alums.
- Both mentors and mentees will become part of a vibrant network of intergenerational learners.
- As students reap rich rewards from what they learn from their mentors, alums also learn from their protégés while developing their mentoring abilities.
- Through their interactions with the larger community of Honors mentors and mentees, all participants’ professional networks will be enriched.
- Alumni and current students remain active contributors to the University Honors Program and the greater Northeastern University community, establishing meaningful relationships that will last a life-time.
Application and Matching Processes
Honors Alumni and Honors Students will be matched according to information provided in their respective registration forms.
The University Honors Program believes that the opportunity to forge meaningful relationships with members of our alumni community is invaluable. Our aim is to match students with alumni who are willing to invest deeply in students’ holistic development. Although we may not be able to match you with an Honors Mentor who shares your exact academic background or professional aspiration, we are confident that you will be matched with a Mentor who will have your best interests at heart and will offer quality advice and support.
STUDENT APPLICATION: Honors Program Alumni Mentoring Network
Application and Matching Processes Timeline
Summer 2017 – Spring 2018
- Registration Process Opens.
- Review of Registration Form Begins.
- Matching of Alumni Mentors and Students will be conducted on a rolling basis throughout the course of the academic year (2017-18).
Please forward any questions, thoughts or concerns to Mr. José Ivan Román, Assistant Director of the Northeastern University Honors Program: email@example.com or 617-373-233.