Funding for projects is provided on a reimbursement basis for associated expenses, including equipment, material, software, hardware, surveys, or gift-cards. Non-PhD students are eligible for funding up to the amount of $500 per academic year. However, all final reward amounts are contingent on the availability of funds per funding period. Non-PhD students are also eligible to apply more than once per academic year, but the total reward amount for that year cannot exceed $500.
PhD students should submit funding applications to the PhD Network.
Steps To Get Project Funding
1. Do you qualify for GSG funding?
- Applicants must be currently enrolled Northeastern University student and should be a graduate student over the duration of the proposed research or project timeline.
- Projects include, but are not limited to lectures, campus projects, and community service projects. Projects can also be a part of your thesis or course work granted that you do not receive any funding from your respective college. Projects must be open to all Non-PhD students and primarily benefit graduate students.
- Project grants may cover the following expenses: Materials, equipment, software, or hardware purchased or rented for the project, and compensation to participants of pre-approved research/clinical trials. Note: Compensation to research participants may be given in the form of gift cards. See the gift-card policy for more information.
Please read the Project Funding Policy.
- Fill out the Project Funding Application (on CampusLabs) thoroughly
- Submit the Advisor Approval Form in addition to your Project Funding Application
- Submit the completed application form, advisor approval form, project proposal presentation and itemized budget to email@example.com. All forms must be completed for consideration
Applications must be received by the appropriate application deadlines. These are based on when you will be starting your project work.
Be aware that you must be very specific as to what expenses you would like to be reimbursed for. You will also be required to provide receipts once the activity has occurred. Please write your NU ID number on all forms and receipts.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE APPLICATION DEADLINES COME WELL BEFORE THE DATES OF THE ACTUAL PROJECT START DATE.
3. Finance Committee Approval
Funding decisions are voted on by the GSG Finance Committee. These meetings determine eligibility and if there is sufficient funding for all applicants. Every effort will be made to provide at least partial funding to all applicants. Award amounts presented and voted on at the Finance Committee Meeting will be considered final. You will receive email notification of the meeting results (your approval status) AFTER the deadline of the funding cycle, as we process all funding requests at once.
4. Notification of Approval
Once your application is approved by the Finance Committee, an Award Letter will be sent to the mailing address you have provided (usually after the funding cycle’s deadline). This will confirm the breakdown of your total award and provide instructions for submitting proof of payment for your reimbursement. If there are any errors, or last-minute changes to your project plans, the VP of Finance must be notified of any necessary changes to allocations prior to the start date. Changes to an award will NOT be made after the start date indicated by the student.
In order to be reimbursed, authentication documents must be received by the appropriate deadlines.
This includes a copy of the original award letter with:
- Completed SABO Expense Reimbursement Voucher
- Appropriate Signatures (1. Advisor or Dept. Representative, 2. Registrar’s Stamp/Seal, 3. Student)
- Proof of payment for all expenses (example: credit card statement, bank statement)
- If Gift Cards have been used for Surveys/Human Trails, the Names, Northeastern Emails and NUID’s of such Northeastern Students should be attached
Be sure to save all of your receipts for the purchases made towards the project. In order to process your award, we require documentation showing that you personally paid for all expenses being reimbursed.
Once all documentation has been received by the GSG office, the information is submitted to the GSG advisor for approval and then on to the Business Office. Once processed by the Business Office, reimbursement checks will be sent to the mailing address you provided.
7. Project Funding Deadlines for 2020-2021
|Funding Period||Project Start Date||Application Deadline||Notification Date|
|Fall||Sep-Dec 2021||August 15, 2021||September 1, 2021|
|Spring||Jan-Apr 2022||December 15, 2021||January 1, 2022|
|Summer||May-Aug 2022||April 15, 2022||May 1, 2022|
*Reimbursement date within 4 weeks of the project’s end date
**Please note – Spring deadline has been extended by 30 days to January 30, 2021
The GSG makes no promise to provide funding to applicants or to reimburse awardees. Awards to individuals for project support are based on the available budget, the number of applicants, the information in the application, and other applicable information and considerations. Reimbursement to individuals is based on the validity of the receipts and the amount actually spent by the awardee.
Updated January 6, 2021