Working Professionals. World-Class Faculty.
Many Northeastern faculty members are recognized leaders and scholars in their field. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They have testified before Congress; made our ports, our medical systems, and our food systems safer; shaped urban policy; participated in international diplomacy; and guided nonprofit organizations.
Engaging Students with Hands-On, Real-World Research
Organized by the aspirations and pathways of their students, rather than by traditional disciplines, many faculty members integrate their research into the classroom to provide students with hands-on experience and relevant, real-world industry insights.
And they enrich their teaching by continuing to serve their professions in the roles of advisor, board member, or researcher. This interaction runs throughout the careers of our faculty, and stands as an important difference, distinction, and testament to their deep commitment to student learning.
“Professors consistently took deep, technical dives into their areas of expertise, and made sure to tie it back to real-world examples. By incorporating students’ current work experiences into their lessons, it allowed me to bring new ideas to the workplace that were directly applicable to the problems we were facing.”
— Rick Keilty, Master of Science in Computer Science ’12
At Northeastern, students learn from industry-aligned faculty like:
- Co-Director of Northeastern’s George J. Kostas Research Institute for Homeland Security Stephen Flynn, former lead homeland security policy advisor for the Presidential Transition Team for Barack Obama
- Barbara Guthrie, professor and doctoral program director for the School of Nursing, who was honored with the Association of Black Nursing Faculty’s Lifetime Achievement in Education and Research Award
- Jean C. Tempel Professor of Entrepreneurship and Innovation Fernando Suarez, founder of South America’s first full-time, global MBA program, as well as Boston University’s Strategy and Innovation Department
- Andrea Matwyshyn, a professor of law who served in 2014 as the senior policy advisor and academic in residence at the U.S. Federal Trade Commission
- Sports Leadership Professor Robert Prior, former director of media relations for the Boston Celtics, public relations and marketing coordinator for the Atlanta Braves, and director of information and new media for Major League Soccer
- Taskin Padir, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering, who, in addition to leading a team of faculty and students to research NASA’s Valkyrie robot, teams up with the Department of Energy and National Science Foundation to develop other robotic devices.