The Master of Science in Operations Research teaches students how to develop and solve mathematical and computer models of systems using optimization and statistical methods.
This program seeks to train students in the basic techniques and theory of operations research and their applications to real-world problems. Graduates should have developed their analytical skills to attack complex, large-scale optimization problems of both a deterministic and stochastic nature.
Eight 4-semester-hour graduate courses are required for this degree. Previous course work will be evaluated to determine proficiency in certain content areas and degree plan may be tailored accordingly. In some cases, a student may be required to take an assessment exam to determine content and knowledge proficiency. No course can be used to satisfy both a requirement and an elective. To qualify for degree conferral, a minimum cumulative average of 3.000, equivalent to a grade of B, must be obtained. Some courses listed for this program are offered in the College of Engineering or the College of Computer and Information Science.
- Offered jointly by the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) and the Department of Mathematics, thus achieving a unique balance of theory and application
- Optional participation in Northeastern's Co-op program
- Students can choose a Course-Only track or complete a Thesis or Project option
February 1 priority deadline for Fall term (international applicants cannot apply after May 1).
October 1 deadline for international applicants and December 1 deadline for domestic applicants for Spring term.
Applications received after these dates will be reviewed on a rolling admissions basis, depending on space availability.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended
(Official transcripts required upon acceptance of admission offer)
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation
- GRE scores
- Proof of English Proficiency for all applicants (from one of the following):
- Degree earned or in progress at a U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE exam
Choose one of the following:
Choose one of the following:
Optimization and Complexity
Complete 16 hours from the following
Northeastern's signature experiential learning model combines academics with professional practice to help students acquire relevant, real-world skills they can apply to their desired industry. Each program offers its own unique experiential learning opportunities, but they might include:
- Full-Time Co-op Opportunities — Students on co-op work in a paid position in their field of study for three to six months.
- In-Class Case Studies — Professors integrate case studies and exercises into the classroom to bring a real-world perspective and relevance to what they’re teaching.
- Research — Students collaborate with faculty in our more than 30 federally funded research centers, tackling some of the most pressing challenges in health, security, and sustainability.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 230,000 alumni and 3,000 employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Science & Mathematics alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- State Street
- Liberty Mutual Insurance
What They Do
- Business Development
- Information Technology
What They're Skilled At
- Project Management
- Data Analysis
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.