The Master of Science in Marine Biology is a professional masters program designed to provide students with a strong foundation in marine research, conservation, oceanography, and policy.
The Master of Science in Marine Biology program delivers a unique combination of inquiry-based study, fieldwork, research, and workplace experience. Course work is geared towards preparing students to conduct research both in the lab and in the field while also examining the wildlife, ecosystems, and ecology of three ocean provinces: Nahant, MA and the Gulf of Maine; Bocas del Toro (Atlantic) and Coiba (Pacific), Panamá; and Friday Harbor Labs (Puget Sound) in Washington state.
Students follow their course work with a six-month internship and independent research project at a location of their choice. Upon completion of the program, students present their projects in oral and written form. Competitive admissions and small program size lay the groundwork for future collaborations while connecting students to a wide-ranging network of alumni.
Graduates are fully prepared to plan and execute marine research and well equipped to embark on any path they choose, whether it be a top marine biology Ph.D. program or a successful position in a marine-related career.
- Students spend a year studying marine biology in three different marine environments: New England, the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of Panamá, and the Pacific Northwest.
- Students conduct and present an independent research project, with the goal of producing a publishable study.
- Small cohort of 20 students who progress through the program together.
Application deadlines vary based on the program you’re applying to, and are available on the College of Science website. In addition to submitting your online application, all required application materials must be received by the stated deadlines in order for your application to be considered.
- Online application
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended
(Official transcripts required upon acceptance of admission offer)
- Personal statement
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Proof of English Proficiency for all applicants (from one of the following):
- Degree earned or in progress at a U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE exam
Students register for International Study for the fall and spring terms of year 1[course_table id=4]
Northeastern's signature experiential learning model combines academics with professional practice to help students acquire relevant, real-world skills they can apply to their desired industry. Each program offers its own unique experiential learning opportunities, but they might include:
- Full-Time Co-op Opportunities — Students on co-op work in a paid position in their field of study for three to six months.
- In-Class Case Studies — Professors integrate case studies and exercises into the classroom to bring a real-world perspective and relevance to what they’re teaching.
- Research — Students collaborate with faculty in our more than 30 federally funded research centers, tackling some of the most pressing challenges in health, security, and sustainability.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 230,000 alumni and 3,000 employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Science & Mathematics alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- State Street
- Liberty Mutual Insurance
What They Do
- Business Development
- Information Technology
What They're Skilled At
- Project Management
- Data Analysis
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.