In the Master of Science in Information Systems program, we practice information engineering that responds to the question of how to deliver the appropriate information to the appropriate people, at the right time: up, across, and down the management hierarchy.
- In Northeastern’s Master of Science in Information Systems (MS-IS) program, you will embark on an IT leadership pathway as a more-evolved, dynamic software engineer. Through an innovative curriculum and a rigorous academic program that is both broad and deep, you’ll become a problem solver who designs groundbreaking software solutions that fit within the complexities of the business world and solve the humanistic needs of the people who use them.
- This flexible degree program puts software at the forefront of the engineering paradigm to address the socio-technical needs of contemporary society. You’ll be prepared to go beyond simple programming to become a leader in information technology, delivering systems that are safe and secure and that help solve the world’s grand challenges.
- Your degree will involve a deep level of applied learning with hands-on case studies in every course and at least one required co-op experience in an industry of your choosing. You’ll also have the flexibility to tailor your degree to your professional goals through a number of available concentrations:
- General Information Systems
- User experience
- Big data systems and analytics
- Smart contracts
- Intelligent systems
- You’ll also build the crucial interpersonal skills you need to succeed in any industry, taking courses on business analysis, project planning, agile development, and quality assurance.
- Optional participation in Northeastern's co-op program
- Seattle campus connects students to a city synonymous with software development, internet titans, and information technology
- Students can take courses in one of five specialty concentrations
Kal Bugrara, Program Director
Mike D., Program Graduate
Ranadeep Guha, MS Information Systems student
- Completed online application form
- $75 application fee
- Two letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Official GRE scores
- Statement of Purpose
- TOEFL or IELTS for international applicants
- Undergraduate degree in engineering or similar field
Applications received after the stated deadline dates will be accepted and processed when complete as quickly as possible; however it may not be possible to have a decision rendered in time for the applicant to begin taking classes for the desired term if admitted.
Applications submitted by the referenced dates will receive full consideration for the referenced term. Applications received after the referenced dates will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
|Funding/Early Action deadline for international and domestic applicants:||January 15|
|Deadline for international applicants (outside the U.S.):||May 15|
|Deadline for international applicants (inside the U.S.):||July 1|
|Deadline for domestic applicants:||August 1|
|Deadline for regional campus applicants:||August 15|
|Deadline for international applicants (outside the U.S.):||September 15|
|Deadline for international applicants (inside the U.S.)||November 1|
|Deadline for domestic applicants:||November 15|
|Deadline for domestic regional campus applicants:||December 15|
|Boston part-time domestic applicants:||April 21|
|Regional campus applicants and online program (domestic) applicants:||April 21|
Students may not register for more than 9 semester hours in the fall, spring, and summer terms. All 32 credits must be completed from the IS and CSYE program course work specified. The MSIS program does not accept any transfer credit.
Seattle and Silicon Valley students will complete the General Information Systems concentration below.
Students on the Boston campus may complete one of the following concentrations:
Choose one from the following:
Seattle and Silicon Valley Students
Complete 16 semester hours from the respective lists below (Seattle Campus List or Silicon Valley Campus List).
Boston Campus Students
Complete 16 semester hours in the following subject area: INFO (INFO 7290 and INFO 6101 excluded).
Complete four from the following:
Complete 12 semester hours from the respective course list.
Boston Campus Students
Choose courses from the subject codes of INFO or CYSE except CYSE 6220, 6510, and 6530.
Seattle Campus List
Silicon Valley Campus List
- Every class in the MS-IS program requires an intensive real-world experience through case studies or in-the-field learning, from creating a smart, integrated energy system that generates electricity consistently and cost-effectively by harnessing multiple alternate energy sources, to preventing counterfeit medicines from entering the drug supply system, to developing blood supply chain workflow software to facilitate the movement of blood products from the donor to the lab to the hospital.
- Cooperative education at Northeastern is another vital hands-on learning opportunity for MS-IS students, in which you’ll spend a semester working in a position related to your career interests in industries ranging from healthcare and financial to retail and start-ups. Recent MS-IS co-op partners include Google, Amazon, Goldman Sachs, Tesla, and Apple.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 245,000 alumni and 3,200+ employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Engineering alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- GE Aviation
- CDM Smith
- Bose Corporation
What They Do
- Functional Engineers and Architects
- Business Design and Process Architects
- Project Managers
- Data Architects
- IT Managers
What They're Skilled At
- Project Management
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.