Northeastern University’s Master of Science program in Bioinformatics provides cross-disciplinary training in biology, computer science, and informational technology for today’s cutting-edge jobs in the biotechnology and pharmaceutical industries.
Northeastern University is committed to delivering cutting-edge programs that foster interdisciplinary thinking, research, and the pursuit of innovation-driven discoveries that have an impact on lives. That commitment and vision are at the very core of the MS in Bioinformatics. The program’s cross-disciplinary training prepares graduates to succeed in multiple roles in this new and growing field. Combining challenging academics in biology, computer science, and information technology with real-world experience, the program helps students integrate the knowledge, skills, experience, and confidence they need to achieve their goals and make a difference in our world.
The Masters of Science in Bioinformatics is structured to provide students with the skills and knowledge to develop, evaluate, and deploy bioinformatics and computational biology applications. The program is designed to prepare students for employment in the biotechnology sector, where the need for knowledgeable life scientists with quantitative and computational skills has exploded in the past decade.
- Our online format allows students to participate in the program anywhere in the world
- Students gain up to 6 months of work experience through optional co-op position
- With only one additional class, a student can also earn a graduate certificate in Data Science
- 94% employment after graduation in industry or research in last three years
- Attain core knowledge in bioinformatics programming
- Integrate knowledge from biological, computational, and mathematical disciplines
- Gain professional work experience via co-op
- Online application
- Application fee
- Unofficial transcripts for all institutions attended
(Official transcripts required upon acceptance of admission offer)
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- GRE scores recommended, but not required
- Proof of English Proficiency for all applicants (from one of the following):
- Degree earned or in progress at a U.S. institution
- Degree earned or in progress at an institution where English is the only medium of instruction
- Official exam scores from either the TOEFL iBT, IELTS, or PTE exam
Research and Seminar
Statistics and Programming
Complete 12 semester hours from the following. Electives outside this list may be chosen in consultation with faculty advisor:
Students in the MS in Bioinformatics program gain real-world knowledge, awareness, perspective, and confidence during a three- or six-month graduate co-op in industry or academia. As a recognized leader in experiential learning and a trusted source of high-caliber students, Northeastern enjoys relationships with more than 3,000 public and private-sector employers on seven continents. Recent bioinformatics co-op partners have included:
- Broad Institute
- Harvard Medical School
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Seattle Children’s Research Institute
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 245,000 alumni and 3,200+ employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Science & Mathematics alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- State Street
- Liberty Mutual Insurance
What They Do
- Business Development
- Information Technology
What They're Skilled At
- Project Management
- Data Analysis
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.