The Online Graduate Certificate in Remote Sensing provides students with the necessary skills and understanding to apply remote sensing knowledge competently and effectively in a variety of areas.
Remote Sensing is the measurement of information by a recording device that is not in physical contact with the object being measured. In practice, remote sensing is the utilization at a distance (as from aircraft, space shuttle, spacecraft, satellite, or ship) of any device for gathering information about the environment. The term "remote sensing" is most often applied to terrestrial and weather observations, but can be applied to planetary environments and astronomy. Remote Sensing is applicable to many other situations including: land-use change, pollution tracking, land-use and planning, transportation systems, and military observation. The Graduate Certificate in Remote Sensing aims to make education and training in remote sensing available to adult and professional students. A student earning a Remote Sensing Certificate will be well versed in remote sensing theory, will have hands-on exposure to remote sensing software and hardware, and will learn how to extract pertinent data from remotely sensed datasets.
- Gain specialized knowledge in remote sensing to advance or change your career
- Boost your earnings: Graduate Certificate holders receive an average 25 percent higher salary, according to the Washington Post
- Explore your area of interest and leverage your graduate certificate as a gateway to a master’s degree
- Efficient and comprehensive six-course path to certificate
- Gain hands on exposure to remote sensing hardware and software
- Online Program provides flexibility and interactive experience for working professionals
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): identifies your educational goals and expectations from the program; please be aware that the University's academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose
- Professional resume
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts (Official transcripts required at the time of admission)
- English language proficiency proof: Students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor's degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, or NU Global Exam scores
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis, however we do recommend following the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term.
Remote Sensing Electives
Complete four of the following:
Northeastern's signature experiential learning model combines academics with professional practice to help students acquire relevant, real-world skills they can apply to their desired industry. Each program offers its own unique experiential learning opportunities, but they might include:
- Experiential Learning at Work — Working professionals collaborate with their employer to develop a project that addresses a key business need their company has in an area they want familiarity with.
- Experiential Network (XN) — Students work virtually with a sponsoring organization on a short-term project over a six-week period.
- Full-Time Co-op Opportunities — Students on co-op work in a paid position in their field of study for three to six months.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 245,000 alumni and 3,200+ employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Engineering alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- GE Aviation
- CDM Smith
- Bose Corporation
What They Do
- Business Development
- Program and Project Management
What They're Skilled At
- Project Management
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.