The Graduate Certificate in Financial Markets and Institutions will provide students with a greater understanding of financial systems as well as how to manage risks, assets, and liabilities in meeting corporate goals.
In this rapidly changing business environment, the barriers between institutions are eroding, and competition is increasing due to deregulation and new product development. Managing internal operations more efficiently and adapting to the changing external environment is critical to the long-term survival of institutions.
Students will enhance their understanding of financial systems, learn to measure the impact of accounting decisions on performance; to manage risks, assets, and liabilities to meet corporate goals; to understand domestic and international financial systems and the institutions within them; and to build financial relationships that foster marketing financial products. An examination of financial services industry principles and practices will provide individuals working in brokerage houses, investment or commercial banks, insurance companies, or real estate with a greater understanding of financial systems as well as how to manage risks, assets, and liabilities in meeting corporate goals.
- Program is appropriate for individuals working in brokerage houses, investment or commercial banks, insurance companies, or real estate
- Boston location on flagship campus, a hub for healthcare, education, finance, business, biotechnology, and the life sciences
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500–1000 words): identifies your educational goals and expectations from the program; please be aware that the University's academic policy on plagiarism applies to your statement of purpose
- Professional resume
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts (Official transcripts required at the time of admission)
- English language proficiency proof: Students for whom English is not their primary language must submit one of the following:
- Official associate or bachelor's degree transcript from an accredited college or university in the U.S., stating degree conferral and date
- TOEFL, IELTS, or NU Global Exam scores
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis, however we do recommend following the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term.
Northeastern's signature experiential learning model combines academics with professional practice to help students acquire relevant, real-world skills they can apply to their desired industry. Each program offers its own unique experiential learning opportunities, but they might include:
- Experiential Learning at Work — Working professionals collaborate with their employer to develop a project that addresses a key business need their company has in an area they want familiarity with.
- Experiential Network (XN) — Students work virtually with a sponsoring organization on a short-term project over a six-week period.
- Full-Time Co-op Opportunities — Students on co-op work in a paid position in their field of study for three to six months.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 245,000 alumni and 3,200+ employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Business alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
- State Street
- Fidelity Investments
- Dell EMC
What They Do
- Business Development
What They're Skilled At
- Customer Service
- Project Management
- Strategic Planning
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.