The Graduate Certificate in 3-D Animation offers a practice-oriented approach to the art and science of animation, with an emphasis on the special requirements of 3-D modeling and animating for the gaming industry.
3-D animation is not only a major component in the film and broadcast industries, it is also a crucial element in online entertainment and a driving force for the gaming industry. Companies use animation in advertisements, web sites, and training programs. The growing use of gaming technologies in education and industry (often referred to as Serious Games) has given rise to a need for skilled animators who can work closely with business and academic institutions.
Coursework will develop students’ powers of visualization as well as provide a conceptual basis for visual narrative. Upon completion of the program, graduates will be skilled in the use of industry-standard animation applications, understand visual principles of lighting, modeling and surfacing, and be conversant with motion and special effects compositing. The courses in this program also serve as a concentration in the Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media.
- Practice oriented approach
- Graduates are positioned for jobs in diverse fields such as film, online entertainment, business and academic institutions, and the gaming industry
- Courses from this certificate may be applied toward the Master of Professional Studies in Digital Media
- Online application
- Statement of purpose (500-1000 words): identifying your educational goals and expectations from the program; please be aware that the University's academic policy on plagiarism applies to applicant's statement of purpose
- Professional resume: Current resume that displays job responsibilities, relevant experience, and education history
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts (Official transcripts required at the time of admission)
- Proof of English language proficiency: ONLY for students for whom English is not their primary language
Our admissions process operates on a rolling basis, however we do recommend following the application guidelines below to ensure you can begin during your desired start term.
Complete one of the following. Note: For students with a portfolio waiver, DGM 6450 is the core course:
The Graduate Certificate in 3-D Animation offers:
- A practice-oriented approach to the art and science of animation, with an emphasis on the special requirements of 3-D modeling and animating for the gaming industry.
- Coursework that will develop students’ powers of visualization as well as provide a conceptual basis for visual narrative. Upon completion of the program, graduates will be skilled in the use of industry-standard animation applications, understand visual principles of lighting, modeling and surfacing, and be conversant with motion and special effects compositing.
Our faculty represents a wide cross-section of professional practices and in fields ranging from finance to education to biomedical science to management to the U.S. military. They serve as mentors and advisors, and collaborate alongside students to solve the most pressing global challenges facing established and emerging markets.
By enrolling in Northeastern, you gain access to a network of more than 245,000 alumni and 3,200+ employer partners, including Fortune 500 companies, government agencies, and global NGOs. Our current students and faculty across strategically located regional campuses further foster that lifelong global community of learning and mentoring.
Below is a look at where our Digital Media & Design alumni work, the positions they hold, and the skills they bring to their organization.
Where They Work
What They Do
- Art and Design
- Information Technology
- Media and Communication
What They're Skilled At
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Social Media
- Digital Media
Learn more about Northeastern Alumni on Linkedin.